General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

2 questions in 1. Rear door and condensation.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 03:29 PM

2 questions in 1. Rear door and condensation.

Hi all.

I thought I would kill 2 birds with one stone.

I noticed that on the left rear door, on the tapered shaft that holds the door open, there is some rusty wet film of water coming out of there. Not from the holes at the bottom of the door or anywhere else. Just out along that shaft, and then staining as it dries down the inside of the door jamb. I assume that water is getting into the door, but not enough to come out the lower drain holes.

Has anyone encountered this? What was your fix?
Thanks...

#2........condensation.
We bought our HHR in the summer. But even then, and since, it is the most moist car I have ever owned. No matter the weather, it fogs up inside. Right after you start it on a warm dry day, it fogs up the windshield right away....and in cooler weather, you have to almost have the defrost on all the time.....I know the interior is not wet or damp....and if it was, we would have dried it out by the end of the summer....
Does anyone else have this issue? I don't like having to have the defrost on all the time as it runs the ac.....but having it on floor eventually has it fogging up again.
I smell no sweet smell, and have to overheating issues. So I'm not thinking coolant. The carpets are dry....so I am kinda stumped....
Thanks for any thoughts....
Cheers.
And happy new year.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:58 PM
Platinum Member

Can't answer your number 1 question.

Number 2......I remember this question appearing when the HHR's first came out. Many owners complained of fogging windows. You might try a search to see if you can find any of the suggestions. BUT, fog/condensation only occurs when humidity levels and dew point is about equal, IIRC. So the only thing I can recommend is to run the A/C, with the temperature turned up. The A/C, as you probably know, inherently removes humidity as evidenced by the condensation line dripping.

I don't know this but isn't B.C, constantly humid because of your proximity to the ocean.

Oh, and I.m told that using the A/C in cooler weather will also contribute to it's longevity by keeping the seals well lubricated. I do that here in Arizona, in our winter period, as a precaution and I haven't had to have any A/C repairs (on anything) since way back in the old R12 days.

Just a thought.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:46 PM
Platinum Member

I live in one of those very humid locations. Mobile Bay and the Gulf of Mexico.
We have those days where the carport or garage floors have almost standing water on them.
That being said. I have never had an issue with condensation or fogging on my HHR. In fact, I have more of a problem with my 98 Dodge truck. Usually have to run the defroster on the Dodge every morning I drive it. The HHR very rarely need the defroster.
You may have some interior dampness that you are not aware of. Two places to look. Pull the cabin filter,check it and up inside it's housing for any moisture. Also look in the spare tire well. Pull everything out and give it a good look. Any interior moisture whatsoever will find it's way to glass and create that fogging.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:24 PM

#2 Just a thought, is your air recirculation button on, or is the recirculation door stuck shut so that you are not getting any fresh air into the vehicle? Not sure how the recirculation system works but this was my first thought.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:54 AM

Thanks for the thoughts.....will try those.
As for the fist question....please let me know if I wasn't explaining the question well.
The doors all have two hinges, and between them in the middle of the jamb is a tapered shaft that slides in and out of the door. When the door is fully opened, it holds it from shutting on you....I'm getting a little dirty rusty like water droplets coming from inside the door through the slot the shaft slides in and out of. Let me know if you need pics.
Thanks for the help...
Will check a few things tomorrow....
Old 12-30-2012, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by NYCHHR
#2 Just a thought, is your air recirculation button on, or is the recirculation door stuck shut so that you are not getting any fresh air into the vehicle? Not sure how the recirculation system works but this was my first thought.
No its not on...will have to check for the door. Air recirc only works on cold air on vent I think for some weird hhr reason.....lol
Old 12-30-2012, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
I live in one of those very humid locations. Mobile Bay and the Gulf of Mexico.
We have those days where the carport or garage floors have almost standing water on them.
That being said. I have never had an issue with condensation or fogging on my HHR. In fact, I have more of a problem with my 98 Dodge truck. Usually have to run the defroster on the Dodge every morning I drive it. The HHR very rarely need the defroster.
You may have some interior dampness that you are not aware of. Two places to look. Pull the cabin filter,check it and up inside it's housing for any moisture. Also look in the spare tire well. Pull everything out and give it a good look. Any interior moisture whatsoever will find it's way to glass and create that fogging.
True, the coast is right next door. But none of my other vehicles have done this. Perhaps its because the hhr is so air tight....
I get into the car in the middle of a warm dry summer day.....no fog or condensation anywhere on the inside or outside of the glass. Interior dry, and clean....car is still new to us from dealer.....I start it up, and right away, condensation builds right above the defrost vents on the dash.....it fogs up the windshield, and I have to put the defroster on with fan to get rid of it....
No matter what the weather is doing....this happens.
Weird.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:18 AM

Did you buy the car used? It could be a leaking heater core as that is the main symptom of one. And it does not always leak enough to get the floor wet nor produce the coolant smell.

Originally Posted by A Crazy Canuck
True, the coast is right next door. But none of my other vehicles have done this. Perhaps its because the hhr is so air tight....

I get into the car in the middle of a warm dry summer day.....no fog or condensation anywhere on the inside or outside of the glass. Interior dry, and clean....car is still new to us from dealer.....I start it up, and right away, condensation builds right above the defrost vents on the dash.....it fogs up the windshield, and I have to put the defroster on with fan to get rid of it....

No matter what the weather is doing....this happens.

Weird.

The heater core is right below those vents I believe inside the distrobution box. When it leaks it will leak inside the box. The evap moisture will come right out of those vent and onto the windshield if that is what it is.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:32 AM

I suggest you search on here about the seal under the hood on the firewall to see if you might need to fix the hole located there. They fixed this on the later model HHR's but the older ones have this problem. Use passenger side leak for your search phrase. At least one thread has pictures of how to fix it.

Then change the cabin air filter.

As far as your rear doors, check to be sure the drain holes are not blocked. If condensation or rain water is getting inside the door and is not able to get out the holes it is intended to drain out of I can easily see it building up on the hill locks.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by 07azhhr
Did you buy the car used? It could be a leaking heater core as that is the main symptom of one. And it does not always leak enough to get the floor wet nor produce the coolant smell.

The heater core is right below those vents I believe inside the distrobution box. When it leaks it will leak inside the box. The evap moisture will come right out of those vent and onto the windshield if that is what it is.
True....the heater core is also a possibility. One thing I know though is the vapour from warm coolant does not come off the window so easily....
i am gonna check the cabin filter for sure, and have a look in that whole area. Thanks.

Quick Reply: 2 questions in 1. Rear door and condensation.