General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

2 questions in 1. Rear door and condensation.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by Grizzly old man
I suggest you search on here about the seal under the hood on the firewall to see if you might need to fix the hole located there. They fixed this on the later model HHR's but the older ones have this problem. Use passenger side leak for your search phrase. At least one thread has pictures of how to fix it.

Then change the cabin air filter.

As far as your rear doors, check to be sure the drain holes are not blocked. If condensation or rain water is getting inside the door and is not able to get out the holes it is intended to drain out of I can easily see it building up on the hill locks.
I though about the butyl patch. I will have to check if it is an issue. But would there not be more evidence of moisture on the passenger side if it was leaking....?
I'm gonna be a busy boy checking all these possibilities...lol

Thanks all.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:09 PM

I really couldn't say. On my buggy the patch was already fixed when we bought it. Mine is a 2006.

A lot of the stuff that needs done as these cars age had already been taken care of for me. Somewhere along the line the radiator had been drained the system flushed out very well and the brown coolant removed and green put in.

The old couple that traded the HHR in did so because they were convinced that the front end was about to fall off, there was a lot of noise in the front end. A lot of the stuff that makes noise up there was replaced. The few things that were not I've done myself. I replaced the sway bar bushings so I could have greaseable ones in there and the sway bar ends so I could have the thicker ones in place. I put new disks and pads on because I decided the old ones were worn enough also put new tie rod ends on so I could have greaseable ones in place. There is a W shaped spring in the rear wheels and the one on the passengers side broke so I also did the rear brakes at that time.k,l,,,

I still need front struts though. I replaced a lot of stuff that really did not need to be replaced just to know they were good serviceable parts.

I had my problems with the stereo and put in different speakers so that rocks rel goot now. I've had the doors apart several times and have looked for any problems like evidence of moisture inside the doors but have found none. I'm not sure what caused the original speakers to stop working in the doors but I put them in some crude boxes and have them hooked up to an old car stereo in my garage and they play just fine.