General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

2007: Can cigarette port 12v be tapped to add 2nd port?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2022, 09:24 PM

Question 2007: Can cigarette port 12v be tapped to add 2nd port?

Looking for ideas on if what I'm hoping to do, is even feasible. My little 2007 HHR has only the one cigarette / power port on the dash. I have a Garmin DriveSmart 66, which is both GPS and Backup monitor. Per Garmin instruction sheet, unit needs to be plugged into that 12v port with their usb adapter. This unit cannot be hardwired. They make it sound like their usb adapter has some proprietary function.(I'm still trying to figure that out). They also discuss how some aftermarket adapters could be problematic. I also need to be able to have my phone plugged in. I don't like visible, hanging power cords. I do have a path to run the GPS power cord behind the dash. I'd like to add a power port behind the dash,behind the one on the front, where they would both work. My question is: can I tap into the black, and red with white stripe wires of that direct line, and power a 2nd port where potentially, both outlets would be drawing power at same time, without frying anything in the car's electrical system, or the units/phone plugged into them? Feedback appreciated. Thanx!
Old 07-09-2022, 09:51 PM
Platinum Member

Welcome
Pretty sure all HHR's already have a 2nd power outlet at the back of the center console. Will that help ?
I also think the panel HHR's may have a 3rd outlet in the back by the hatch.
Old 07-09-2022, 10:17 PM

They make dual power adapters. And cig to dual usb. Look on the rear passenger side of the console.
I wouldn't mess with the front port the circuit also powers the OBD2 port. BTW; both 12 volt power outlets are always hot, don't leave thing plugged in.
The outlets are 20A circuits. The rear one is all by itself, nothing else to worry about blowing things up.
Look at my signature for a link to an Owner Manual.
Old 07-09-2022, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Welcome
Pretty sure all HHR's already have a 2nd power outlet at the back of the center console. Will that help ?
I also think the panel HHR's may have a 3rd outlet in the back by the hatch.
Hi- thank you. I stand corrected on my 4door LT having a second power outlet on rear passenger side of console... it is there. It's a most impractical spot for driver access, but clearly can be used to power phone. Yes, that helps.
Old 07-09-2022, 11:19 PM

This is what I got, gives you options. I plug it into the rear power port, and it rests in the cup holder.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00...b_b_asin_title
Old 07-09-2022, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
They make dual power adapters. And cig to dual usb. Look on the rear passenger side of the console.
I wouldn't mess with the front port the circuit also powers the OBD2 port. BTW; both 12 volt power outlets are always hot, don't leave thing plugged in.
The outlets are 20A circuits. The rear one is all by itself, nothing else to worry about blowing things up.
Look at my signature for a link to an Owner Manual.
Thanks so much. Understanding what else is on the circuit is what I needed to know. The GPS documentation alludes to being plugged in and "sleeping" until movement in reverse brings up backup camera screen, forward, actuates map. It's not that I'd be leaving the actual GPS plugged in, but the proprietary usb adapter could/would be. It has a blue light "on" indicator, that when plugged into a "hot" line, would be drawing constant power on some (however minor) level. I wasn't comfortable with that, especially as I was considering hiding connection behind dash. So that rules that out- thank you. I am aware of the dual power adapters, but again, more exposed dangles across front of radio/dash. And the cig to dual usb is still a consideration but not with the GPS as Garmin wants their adapter used. I guess it'll be a matter of trial and error if there is a universal dual usb that will work with that unit without compromising response or charging time. I have my original owners manual but it wasn't of much help; not real clear on this, at least not so in a way that I could understand. I appreciate your input.
Old 07-09-2022, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350
This is what I got, gives you options. I plug it into the rear power port, and it rests in the cup holder.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00...b_b_asin_title
Interesting!
Old 07-10-2022, 01:47 AM

"sleeping" consumes power, you could end up with a dead battery.
If you know what you are doing; any of the fuses marked "spare" on the BCM (inside fuse box) are switched on the RetainedAccessoryPower circuit. #12 is 20A, #14 is 10A,. #21 is20A,
RAP means they stay on for a few minutes until the driver door is opened and closed, like the radio and window controls.

Garmin probably requires their adapter because they know what quality the components are. I always give my convenience a try.
Old 07-10-2022, 06:37 AM
Administrator

I always plug my Garmin into that power port at the rear of the console, and unplug and hide it from site when I get out of the car.
Old 07-10-2022, 06:58 AM

This thread has me wondering is there’s any difference in the wiring or fusing when the “smokers package” (basically a in the socket and an ashtry) came with the car.

You can run this socket inside either glove box.

Quick Reply: 2007: Can cigarette port 12v be tapped to add 2nd port?