General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

2007 HHR custom/ LS6, rear wheel drive

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 11:53 AM

I don't remember, but I don't think any of them went for much over 20K. Asking $50k is crazy but someone will pay it. Way too much fior something I can't drive.

I emailed them and asked if it still had a salvage title and mentioned that it was actually a 2006. Wonder if I'll hear back from them?
Old 12-20-2009, 12:01 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by GDZHHR
I don't remember, but I don't think any of them went for much over 20K. Asking $50k is crazy but someone will pay it. Way too much for something I can't drive.

I emailed them and asked if it still had a salvage title and mentioned that it was actually a 2006. Wonder if I'll hear back from them?
Thanks Mike, I missed that sale..Even tho I do watch Barret-Jackson auctions when I can. If it could be legally street driven would be a different story. Too deep for my pockets..

I'd be surprised if you hear back about 'salvage title' & etc..
There's a story behind that situation.

Billy
Old 12-20-2009, 12:08 PM

Where the heck do you guys live that you can't drive that legally? It is no different than any car that has had swapped drivetrains. OR guys that pick up wrecked cars out of a yard fix em up and drive em.
Old 12-20-2009, 01:57 PM

Hey guys, If it could be titled and driven on the street, I would wonder first about how it actually DRIVES. It is physically big enough to handle a V-8, being not all that different in size and weight to my old '89 5.0 Mustang. However, who knows what mish-mash of parts are under there, with what level of engineering? I recall Mario Andretti quoted as saying that true fear is driving a restored race car. Apparently he'd driven a few diabolical ones. Just because it is restored with genuine parts, doesn't mean it is set up right. It may handle horribly. God Bless, Marc
Old 12-20-2009, 02:37 PM
Platinum Member

Marc-

I understand your statement. But I would be willing to drive it (given the chance)..
"Year One" has been building some wicked cool Hot Rods for a while..
Course I would be conservative till I got a feel. then HAMMER-TIME !!!

And as to salvage title, there are steps to get it inspected, which of course it would have to meet 2009 EPA standards & etc, as new (re-constructed, or special construction) title would be dated for year of application.. (But I'm sure we all know this).

I have to go thru this on custom scratch-built bikes for others. Really affects value negatively as well.

Mine all have Harley Davidson titles
Old 12-20-2009, 03:15 PM

At the HHRitage Nationals, I had a chance to drive two of the HHR concepts, the Nomad and the Exporer (two tone red w/side pipes). I would not have trusted either of them on the street on a regular basis without a lot of tuning to make them run right. Remember these are made for show, not go!
Old 12-20-2009, 03:22 PM
Platinum Member

Point taken.........
Old 12-20-2009, 06:26 PM

From what I saw, they basically cut the bottom out of the HHR and put the body on a camaro chassis. Thats compromises the unibody a lot more than just a powertrain swap. I doubt they took the time to do it well enough to withstand a crash. And then theres the matter of emission testing, catalytic converters, etc.
I sure wouldnt count on getting it legal up here. Maybe in Texas, they be crazy down there.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by prod
From what I saw, they basically cut the bottom out of the HHR and put the body on a camaro chassis. Thats compromises the unibody a lot more than just a powertrain swap. I doubt they took the time to do it well enough to withstand a crash. And then theres the matter of emission testing, catalytic converters, etc.
I sure wouldnt count on getting it legal up here. Maybe in Texas, they be crazy down there.
No they converted the backend to basically to a 4th gen camaro. Cutting a hole from the spare holder forward and welding a brace across the back.

The unique performance HHR ont he other hand was completely rebuilt from scratch. The yearone HHR used all the stock components minus a 4th gen rear end that was narrowed and a 4th gen camaro rack and pinion bolted in with custom made mounts.

Just to clarify..not by any means was that the only thing they had to do, there was other work done I was just speaking on the back half of the car.

Last edited by 1970judge; 12-21-2009 at 05:38 PM.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:01 PM
Banned

This is a Ship of Theseus...

Whoever acquired this car from Barrett-Jackson probably purchased a salvage HHR scrap body and transferred the VIN to the other car. HIGHLY ILLEGAL. Boyd Coddington got into huge trouble over that just for building and selling customs titled as classic cars. My guess is that GM transferred the vehicle as a non-drivable object. They do that all the time with vehicles that are damaged in transit by giving them to tech schools for teaching purposes. The VIN is stricken and the vehicle cannot be licensed or legally driven on any public roads. These build-off cars were production pilots and were never intended to be registered or driven on public roads.

Needless to say, I'd hate to be the guy that drops fifty large on this thing and can't title it, or gets caught in the fraud. A lot of states will allow you to title a custom vehicle, but the inspection process can be trouble and your mileage could be limited.

Quick Reply: 2007 HHR custom/ LS6, rear wheel drive