General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

2008 HHR 2LT With Sway Bar Tire Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 03:52 PM

2008 HHR 2LT With Sway Bar Tire Help!

My HHR has 24,000 miles on it. Sunday, I had the most unfortunate blow out - the Firestone Firehawk on the front driver's side was wasted.

At the time, I didn't realize that most dealers cover the tire under he 3/36... not sure if this applies to everyone... but as I was blocks from a Big-O that just happened to be open on Sundays... I hastily put four new Falken 215/50-17's on. Same size, supposed high performance.

Well, now, when I start at a sharp turn the traction control light comes on (in dry!). On a couple onramps at 45MPH the Stabillitrak light comes on. During lane changes it feels like I have 80 series rubber on.

On the plus side, it rides like a stinkin' Cadillac now.. and its a bit better in wet than the Firehawks.

I called Big-O, they're going to work with me. Can someone tell me what I should be looking for if I am not worried about ride - I mean, shoot, I put a TurboTech Sway Bar on!

Or should I go spring for the $180/piece Firehawks? (Before mount/balance/road hazard)? Gulp!

I have a few days to research - but any advice would be great.

BF Goodrich?
Old 04-23-2009, 04:03 PM

I just put on a set of Goodyear RS/A's and honestly the decision came down to buying American. I could have had Kumhos for $5 a tire less. I decided it was time to support an American company first. Times are tough and we have to look out for our country because nobody else is. We are all in the same boat, so start bailing or drown.

BTW: The Goodyears ride wonderful and are a major improvement over the Bridgestones I had on before.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:04 PM

Well, I wanna support going around corners! I'll buy American if someone can tell me a tire works!
Old 04-23-2009, 04:49 PM

Might want to check out the newer models of Goodyears. The RSA's are on their way out and Goodyear has newer models that have better wear.

THe RSA's ar enot bad but they just have newer models for about the same price that are better.

Check the reviews at Tirerack.com
Old 04-23-2009, 05:03 PM

choice comes to all-season, wet/dry performance, tread wear, size, and pricing. if you want the best-michellins no question. i bought all season kuhmo ecstas and they were a good price, handle awesome through the puget sound weather(you know how that is) even when we had that snowstorm in january the kuhmos were kickin ass. but thats my 2 cents. just dont go for bridgestones or firestones....blah
Old 04-23-2009, 05:06 PM

Damn, and right now I'm missing my Firehawks. They stuck like crazy, no body roll (with swaybar). I know they weren't fabulous in wet/snow but that comes down to making smart decisions.

I want that razor sharp feel back.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by chevyorange
blow out - the Firestone Firehawk on the front driver's side was wasted.
Maybe it's not the tires, could be when the tire blew it damaged a sensor or connection. Just a thought.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:18 PM

I would say that is definitely possible, Dark Age 53, but the car behaves differently in the dry in areas the TC/Stabillitrak wouldn't be engaged. They only activate in tight corners are cornering....

Either way, I pretty much have Big-O behind me on this, I just wish I had more feedback on replacement tires for the 2LT HHR. The best thing about my car is that it handles like a go-kart and it doesn't do that anymore.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:46 AM

Try searching for Tire discussions, theres a lot of them. Most guys seem VERY happy with the Michelin Pilot Exalto, Goodyear also makes a fantastic tire called the Response Edge. Either of these tires ought to be cheaper than the Firecraps.

I installed Goodyear Comfortreds and love them, but its my wifes HHR and she cares not a whit about performance.