General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Is 2009 the end for HHR?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 07:08 AM

The fact is the HHR will die in 2010 with some still avaiable in early 2011.

Whie it is still selling well it is a old out dated platform. It is based on the old Delta platform that is being killed. The old Delta can not hold the new 6 speed transmissions that are being made. They just will not fit other wise Gm would be using them now. The 4 SP auto trannys will also be cust in 2010.

While I do not like the Orland this may be the right product at the right time. the room less soul is taking off as the present Scion is still selling well. The Mazda 5 is roomy and doing well too. The Orland if sold at a good price as the HHR is and with a better interior should do well.

It will be a risk but going with a staying retro is not without its risk either, Change the retro look not enough you end up with a PT Cuiser that did not change enough to maintain sales. Change it too much and you risk losing the present fans.

Retro stying is on its way out industry wide. I hate to see it go but GM needs to be competitive as they have paid for thier mistakes in the past.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:43 AM

The reason for some of the high prices for used vehicles is that they were probably bought by the dealer before the price meltdown and have been on the lot for months. The dealer will not sell it at a loss.
I have seen two identical vehicles side by side at a dealer, one was over a thousand cheaper just because the dealer bought it recently at the lower price.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by prod
The reason for some of the high prices for used vehicles is that they were probably bought by the dealer before the price meltdown and have been on the lot for months. The dealer will not sell it at a loss.
I have seen two identical vehicles side by side at a dealer, one was over a thousand cheaper just because the dealer bought it recently at the lower price.
Unfortunately this sort of inventorying can be problematic. The one that's $1,000 more will just sit there, while the newer, identical one will be bought.

I can't imagine the costs of keeping that inventory on the lot though... that car had to have lost cash alread, depending on how long it's been there.

---

As to the HHR... it should be let go before it goes the way of the PT Loser. While the HHR still uses the old Delta platform that's being cancelled, I can't imagine redesigning the retro wagon for the new platform being profitable. Let the HHR remain an anomoly, there will be enough used ones on the market to meet demand, and return to the retro wagon in a few years time.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:16 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by tplyons
Unfortunately this sort of inventorying can be problematic. The one that's $1,000 more will just sit there, while the newer, identical one will be bought.

I can't imagine the costs of keeping that inventory on the lot though... that car had to have lost cash alread, depending on how long it's been there.
The highlighted area is VERY, VERY true.......and something most consumers do not realize. It's called "floor plan", I believe. And the dealer starts paying GM a daily fee for the vehicle after a certain amount of time, out the factory door.

Of course, GM has been known to disregard these charges under certain rebate and special advertised sales.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:36 PM

The first Nissan Cube sold in the Nashville area (there was a news item that featured the car, the dealer and the purchaser) resides just outside my office. The owner works down the row of offices from me. The car is HIDEOUS! It looks like it just rolled out of a Super Mario Bros. video game. When the door opens, you expect a funky looking dinosaur to jump out, followed by little mutant mushrooms.

Just plain gawd-awful.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:12 PM

Sure hope the HHR is not on its way out. We went out of state for our vacation this year, and were pleasantly surprised that a Silver HHR just like HHRvey was the car we were given. Felt right at home, and I liked the few changes on the '09 such as the cupholders, and the window buttons on the door rather than the console like my '06.

There were HHR's everywhere in the greater Pittsburgh area, and I hope Detroit takes note that this IS a vehicle we still love and want! If not, I am grateful GM is at least keeping the Chevy brand. I do not like the looks of the Orlando, and will probably have to go with an Equinox whenever it's time to trade HHRvey.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:24 PM

I saw my first Kia Soul the other day and all I can say is
Old 06-05-2009, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by HHRvey
Sure hope the HHR is not on its way out. We went out of state for our vacation this year, and were pleasantly surprised that a Silver HHR just like HHRvey was the car we were given. Felt right at home, and I liked the few changes on the '09 such as the cupholders, and the window buttons on the door rather than the console like my '06.

There were HHR's everywhere in the greater Pittsburgh area, and I hope Detroit takes note that this IS a vehicle we still love and want! If not, I am grateful GM is at least keeping the Chevy brand. I do not like the looks of the Orlando, and will probably have to go with an Equinox whenever it's time to trade HHRvey.
Get used to a future of no HHR as it is coming. I too am not a fan of the Orlando so I will have to look for something new.

My wife wants a SUV so we may look at a Nox, Taverse or Acadia for her. I may go Camaro next time if she does a SUV if GM does not do a good new small truck.
Old 06-06-2009, 06:26 PM
Banned

The plant that made the HHR automatic transmission has finished their build out for 2010-11 and is being shut down. Cruze is introduced in 2011 and HHR probably won't last past then if it goes past 2010. Time for something new.

I'm sure part of the transition to four brands will probably involve going to a four-year development cycle like the imports have done for years. More money flowing to each brand will probably allow this to happen.
Old 06-06-2009, 06:53 PM

I like the orlando until you see the back, but I guess if they want 7 passangers then it is "function over style." No one in their right mind would buy an orlando to carry 6-7 passangers on a regular basis.

I didn't really see the HHR lasting too long as there is not really any changes that could be made to the body w/o it becoming a new car anyways. As long as chevy keeps making the new camaro long enough for me to be able to purchase one.

Quick Reply: Is 2009 the end for HHR?