General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

2010 HHR gear shift button stuck in park

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 11:52 AM

The special coverage does not include the plunger. It is for the solenoid that locks the plunger.

The button is stuck.
Old 07-21-2018, 04:43 PM

Success!!!

Originally Posted by ryouajw2
Great news!!! We contacted our local dealer and were told there is no extended warranty for our particular VIN. We did learn the correct part number is now 20871084. It includes items 3-10 on the schematic for $173. I found it at http://www.crateenginedepot.com/mobile/Cobalt-Hhr-With-Mn5-Automatic-Shifter-Asm-20871084-P51256.aspx for $129. This link will show the schematic for the exact model we have.

We finally got the boot and handle removed after 2 days of trying, by using a kitchen jar gripper to rotate and drop the plastic ring that had been holding the boot in place, thus exposing the set screw. We took the entire assembly to the dealer to ensure the part we wanted to order was correct. While there we took apart the knob and discovered a small white nylon shaft inside the head of the knob had become dislodged, causing the button to stick, and shifter to not move. Once that nylon piece was repositioned and securely in place, the button worked perfectly and the shifter moved freely in/out of park!! This appears to have been the entire problem and we didn't end up having to spend a dime, only time and frustration. We'll be reinstalling in the car and testing later today. I hope this info will be useful to others with this same problem. Thanks again to everyone for your suggestions. Have a great day!
My husband re-installed the shifter control assembly in our car, and it now works like a charm!
Old 07-21-2018, 07:15 PM
Administrator

Awesome news!
Old 07-22-2018, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Silverfox
I'm not sure why your Dealer said your 2010 was not covered. I have not looked at the Special extended warranty to see what it says but I had the shifter on one of my 2011's that was past the 36 month bumper to bumper warranty replaced at no charge.
I did not bug them as I did not know there was such an extended warranty existed at the time. They just did the replacement and that was it.

Now that you have fixed it and bought some time, you should find the actual warranty information some place on this site and pursue the truth in case your dealer is just handling your issue incorrectly. It's possible your problem will show up again.

Silverfox
Thank you, I do want to find the extended warranty info, just in case, as you suggest. Just not sure how to go about it. For now, I am keeping the Allen wrench in my hlove box to remove the knob and fix it myself, if this ever happens again. Also buying a spare knob, as a backup. Thanks again for your suggestion☺
Old 07-22-2018, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
The special coverage does not include the plunger. It is for the solenoid that locks the plunger.

The button is stuck.
Good info, thank you. I didn't know the correct name for the white nylon part is a "plunger." And knowing the special warranty is for the solenoid. Regardless I was told it still doesn't apply to my VIN for some reason. It's ok though, I am grateful for everyone sharing their tidbits of knowledge.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:41 AM

Maybe just buy the repair kit. Seems to be easy work to install.

Did you give them the "special coverage adjustment" number 14632?
Old 07-22-2018, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Maybe just buy the repair kit. Seems to be easy work to install.
Great idea, didn't know there is such an animal😉 Thanks!
Old 07-22-2018, 08:49 AM

See post #3.

Why do you keep posting the same post? Is there a problem with the site?
Old 07-22-2018, 09:08 AM
Administrator

A1Auto has the knob and 724-712 linkage repair kit

https://www.1aauto.com/chevy-hhr-shi.../mo-c/1153-262

So does RockAuto

Please note the price is in Canadian funds!<br/>And don’t forget the discount code when ordering
Old 07-22-2018, 09:11 AM

Below is a post by Donbrew from 5/6/2016 that mentions the Extended Warranty.

I am pretty sure that Wopper has also posted on the same issue and I think he gave the GM reference number that identified that shifter special extended warranty.

That number is what you need to give to your Dealer.

You might Private Message Whopper to ask him if he can help.

Quote:

Originally Posted by clo2006 View Post

This is the second time ive had it repaired first time when it was still under warranty from used car lot ,so 3yrs later same thing .Took it to local dealer ship replaced shifter box no chg its a hidden recall... So if you have this problem bring it to chevy dealer.

Donbrew;

Not a hidden recall, it is an extended warranty. If it was replaced previous to 2015 it with the bad part, the new design part is not supposed to do that.

Last edited by Silverfox; 07-22-2018 at 12:37 PM.

Quick Reply: 2010 HHR gear shift button stuck in park