General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

3M Chip Guard

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 06:06 PM

3M Chip Guard

Anyone know anything about this product? It's a clear urethane molded coating that protects the paint against chips and bugs. I have seen it on cars and you would have to be looking for it to notice it. It's a little pricey, but you can pick and choose the patrs that you want to cover.

Joe
Old 06-06-2006, 06:11 PM

I've heard nothing but good things.
I'm getting a kit for the front of my HHR when the hood gets repainted.( Paint is chipping off the front and edges.
I think it's a good investment.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:34 PM

Cool, I am seriuosly thinking about doing the entire front end including the grille and lights. I think that it will cost me abot $1200, but the car will stay fresh!

Joe
Old 06-06-2006, 07:14 PM
Platinum Member

I talked with my window tint people, when I had the tinting done. Luckily they had just finished doing a Mitsubishi 2-seater that they showed me. Was really impressed with the idea.

Then the guy says, "Oh, we don't by the kits (pre-cut), we buy the 3M sheet material and custom fit it." So I really checked it over and I like the work. Having the front front bumper and below done in about 2 weeks. Says $300 for labor and materials.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:34 PM

I have it on our Buick Rainier. It is a clear film that does show a lot of minute scratches as it ages. Ours has been through two winters and now only looks real nice after a bath or during the rain. I suppose it needs more mainenance than I give it. Dunno.

THe edges of the film lift and get some dirt/bubbles in them despite a decent application. Just the way it goes fighting the elements every day.

It is saving the paint from degrading, but there will be a line of demarcation from where it is to where it is not. I am not sure if I would do it again. Though it looks way better than a "bra"!

Perhaps I'll take a picture when the sun comes up again and post it.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:39 PM
Platinum Member

I'd like to see the pictures ....especially after 2 years.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy

I'd like to see the pictures ....especially after 2 years.

OK, I should have 'em up by tomorrow evening.
Your wish shall be granted

I'll get some close ups of the few problem spots.
I just went outside and rinsed both cars. Mugsey, the HHR had all maner of bird turds on it! Yuk!
Old 06-06-2006, 11:03 PM

I install a competing film, called Venture Tape, under a system from Invisible Patterns. We used to be a 3M dealer, but noticed fading on one of our shop vehicles (all of our vehicles have the film applied). The company made the switch just before I came onboard, and I've had no problems using Invisible Patterns film, software, or templates. Shnog wears a full kit on the front end, as well as the "Options" package that includes the lights, rocker moldings, and the forward-facing portion of the rear fenders. (I would recommend having the rear fenders done for anyone who doesn't own running boards!)

Edit: Invisible Patterns website lsits the benifits of not only their own product, but also all of the major PPF systems, check it out here: www.invisiblepatterns.com
Old 06-07-2006, 11:56 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Tokyo
I install a competing film, called Venture Tape, under a system from Invisible Patterns. We used to be a 3M dealer, but noticed fading on one of our shop vehicles (all of our vehicles have the film applied). The company made the switch just before I came onboard, and I've had no problems using Invisible Patterns film, software, or templates. Shnog wears a full kit on the front end, as well as the "Options" package that includes the lights, rocker moldings, and the forward-facing portion of the rear fenders. (I would recommend having the rear fenders done for anyone who doesn't own running boards!)

Edit: Invisible Patterns website lsits the benifits of not only their own product, but also all of the major PPF systems, check it out here: www.invisiblepatterns.com
Can you do a close up picture? Maybe like beginning edge.

Did find one dealer "near" me (about 50 miles).
Old 06-07-2006, 12:01 PM

Make sure you check other shops to do the work. Twelve hundy sound a bit pricey to me. I was quoted $500 in my neck of the woods.

Quick Reply: 3M Chip Guard