General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

3M Chip Guard

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 06:19 PM

It's not visable in any pics I have of Shnog, but here's a gold Avalon that shows up a bit, due to the lighter color fo the vehicle:

I spoke a bit of the fading one of our vehicles is experiencing with the 3M branded film (yeah I know, the truck is hideous):

An applied kit for the HHR, with all the options, would run about $800 at my store. I have no idea about the price differences between the different regions.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:09 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Tokyo
It's not visable in any pics I have of Shnog, but here's a gold Avalon that shows up a bit, due to the lighter color fo the vehicle:

I spoke a bit of the fading one of our vehicles is experiencing with the 3M branded film (yeah I know, the truck is hideous):

An applied kit for the HHR, with all the options, would run about $800 at my store. I have no idea about the price differences between the different regions.
Hey Shnog...

Thanks for the pics.....and your time.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:19 PM

Shnog refuses to type out a reply, so his man-servant, Will, shall do so in his stead:

No worries, hope you get what you're looking for!
Old 06-08-2006, 12:28 PM

Large images of older application of 3M shield

Thanks fer the pic Shnog man!
I was delayed in my attempts due to unyielding rain
I like what I see or rather don't see in your pics. Here are some large ones of my Buick. As you can see it is rarely invisible. Some are taken dry, some wet. When wet, the protection tape/shield can be invisible. Otherwise, it is alwys there. Any reccomendations for me? Some type of cleaner/rejuvinator, or is this the best it gets?

Hey, how'd she get in here OK, I had help taking the pics

A gap where it does not stick any more, so ti fills with dirt. I suppose I should clean it and get out the glue stick
What is the mainteneance on this stuff?
So this is after two New England winters. I'm not sure I'd do it again unless I paid less. This is the 3M product.

Old 06-08-2006, 05:24 PM

Like I said, we made the switch from the 3M stuff due to the fading/yellowing nature of their film. As far as those little "fingers" are concerned, clean them out really well, and try a quick dab of clear nail polish to hold it in place. Easily removable in the future, too.

There really isn't a prescribed maintenance regimen for the film. Wash it with the car, wax over it if you feel like it. Unfortunately, there's nothing I can recommend about your fading issues... Sorry, Robert...
Old 06-08-2006, 11:40 PM

Thanks for the advice. Clear nail polish, eh? Who'da thunk it?

I would look into the product you sell if I were to do it again.

The process is a good idea for a daily driver, but I'm not sold on it for show cars. Even though my Corvairs REALLY could use it ( Man, the fronts love to clog with bugs), I don't run them enough any more to justify it. The HHR on the other hand, it could use the film. as it is definitley a daily driver workhorse.

Thanks for your input. It seems the film you sell is superior to the 3M, which,as you point out, yellows .