General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

4 down/flat towing RV

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 08:58 AM

4 down/flat towing RV

I plan to set up my 2008 2LT for flat towing behind my diesel coach. I have towed my Saturn for 5 years and have finally upgraded to the HHR. I am aware of the fuse to be pulled. I plan to purchase a Blue OX baseplate which
I will install. I have not decided on which auxiliary braking or wiring setup
to use.

Any help and/or suggestions will be appreciated to help avoid those
dreaded GOTCHAS.

Thanks

JMichael
2008 HHR 2LT
2001 Newmar KADP 4084
Old 05-10-2012, 09:09 AM
Deceased

Welcome8: to the forum JMichael!

Here are a couple of threads on Dinghy towing HHR's with some helpful tips. Just click the links.....

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/towing-2009-hhr-w-automatic-transmission-35147/

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/dingy-towing-26300/
Old 05-10-2012, 12:41 PM

We tow our 2007 behind our diesel pusher. The HHR has a Blue Ox base plate, a blue ox tow bar, and I have the US Gear brake system installed. Simple to use, just plug it in, get the green light on the motor home dash control and go. Have never had a single issue with any of it in five years of towing. BTW my HHR is a five speed, though the Automatic's are also towable. When I bought the HHR, it was one of two five speeds on the lot, and I got a killer deal on it. Wireing, mine uses the GM wiring kit, with the one way diods, and I wired a switch in place, so I do not have to pull fuse 8.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:44 AM

Red face Any experience with Ready Brute Tow Bar

Hi folks, We recently purchased a Thor ACE motorhome to pull our HHR around. We are having the Blue Ox Baseplate installed and are seriously considering the Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar with an integrated surge brake. Does anyone have experience with this system? The system has great write-ups in the RV forums due to its simplicity. We have to solve a few problems. A conduit and wire need to be run through the firewall to attach to the brake pedal bar. Is the firewall double or single thickness in this area? Any suggestions on conduit routing from there to the front license plate area? I appreciate in advance any timely responses- we plan to be on the road early in June.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:13 AM

My 2 cents: we tow 2011 HHR, Blue Ox Base plate, Alpha bars, Patriot brake and Tow Daddy wiring. My coach required a 4" BO drop receiver mount. Only item I am not fond of is the Blue Ox safety cables that have the rubber retainers on the hooks. They are APITA in cold weather. Their 10K cables that have the spring clip retainers will not fit in the base plate, too big.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:15 PM

Putting the Blue Ox base plate on is also a PITA. Need to remove the bumper and do some trimming. Purchased a switch for the #8 fuse from a Canadian company. If you want to do this I can dig out the info. To tow level need the 4 inch drop on the tow bar which causes me to drag going out of the driveway.

The baseplate has a bracket to hook your plug into which works nicely except it was too far under the bumper I was able to modify it with some longer bolts (1/4 20s) and some 1/8th inch pipe.

Now if I could get the DW out of the hospital etc....

Don G.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:39 PM

Will be putting holes in firewall near brake pedal on 6/5, suggestions?

Project is progressing. Vehicle now has the BlueOx baseplate.Very discrete when not being used. Hitch dealer also installed diode and wiring to enable HHRs taillamps to mimic the motorhome. ReadyBrute towbar with integrated brake sensor has arrived. DH tapped holes in Blue Ox bracket to attach a plate for running the ReadyBrute brake pedal cable through. Will have a local Lapeer MI mechanic drill firewall holes and run cable to front of vehicle this week. DH used RadioShak parts to create switch for #8 fuse. Bought a taillamp to connect to ReadyBrute brake sensor that we will temporarily affix to Vehicle dash when towing.Thor ACE motorhome has a rearview mirror. We will be able to see when the ReadyBrute Brake sensor is activated and hopefully the brake pedal is being applied. By Wednesday we hope to have another HHR toad on the road. Any input on drilling through the firewall would be appreciated.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:33 PM

faceplate for ss model flat towng

in the forsale section I have a baseplate for the ss to fit a demco tow bar if someone can use it.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:42 PM

Kind of self promoting, dontcha think? This thread died out 2 years ago, both show in "New Posts".
Old 07-05-2016, 10:01 PM

Install auxiliary brake bracket for towing

Wondering if anyone has drilled into floorboards in front of driver's seat in order to install bracket for auxiliary brake system (piston operated by pushing on brake pedal). System is VIP Tow>

Quick Reply: 4 down/flat towing RV