General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

60 mph vs 70 mph... how much time did you save

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 04:55 AM

60 mph vs 70 mph... how much time did you save

Had an interesting conversation with my oldest sister (she is 50ish)

She was proud that her 06 Jetta averaged 36 mpg (she said that) on a long trip over the holiday. I told her that on our Cascade Loop trip this weekend our HHR averaged about 32 mpg.

She drives in the LEFT lane... fast... in and out of traffic. JS&Me (Joan is the driver) mostly keep to the right lane, doing 60 tp 65 mph.

I sat down and did some figur'n

60 vs 70 mph... imagining free flowing travel (IMAGINE) and no pit stops.
If you travel
25 miles (the average trip) there is a 5 min differance
50 miles - 9 min
100 miles - 18 min

If we do 65 vs 70 over a 100 mile strech the differance is about 10 min. Add another 30 min for the three pit stops

I get a little giggle riding in right lane watching the left lanes flashing buy bit hing about fuel costs.

anyone stopped to figure out the % potential fuel savings for 60-65 vs 70 mph or know a web sight that has that information... need to convince my darling sister.

Another subject... following distance... sister says "if I leave to much space people cut in front of me and it takes me longer to get where I am going". I say BS... Last year JS&Me were stuck in some harendous traffic between Seattle and Tachoma, about 40 miles. JS&Me stayed in the right lane... after nearlly three hours of watching cars to our left jocky back and forth, cutting in and out of lanes. The same cars were still sitting next to us after 40 miles... after all that effort.

Slow down... back off... relax... save gas and be happy
Old 05-30-2008, 08:29 PM

We just got to Laughlin NV, our first long trip out with the car and I did some checking of mileage. We stopped once, the rest is highway mileage. We hels about 68mph, and averaged just over 60mph per the DIC. Checked mileage and got about 34mpg. DIC is spot on compared to filling up. That's on about a 260 mile trip. Sofar so good!
Old 05-30-2008, 09:19 PM

I don't know how I woud do driving over 65 on the highway for extended times since my dic settles in at 36mpg at 60mph. I have watched my mileage drop as I sped up very slowly to 80. At 70 I cant get 30 anymore, at 75 were in mid 20's, at 80 I'm watching for the MAN in the median not my dic. But I don't want to see 20 or less inst mpg anyway. I hope everyone keeps drivin like gas is free. That will leave the slow lane all to me.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Clevelandhhrss
I don't know how I woud do driving over 65 on the highway for extended times since my dic settles in at 36mpg at 60mph. I have watched my mileage drop as I sped up very slowly to 80. At 70 I cant get 30 anymore, at 75 were in mid 20's, at 80 I'm watching for the MAN in the median not my dic. But I don't want to see 20 or less inst mpg anyway. I hope everyone keeps drivin like gas is free. That will leave the slow lane all to me.
slow lane... when we took our 55 and older driver training... the left lane was called the safe lane.

i keep asking wifie if there is a instant mpg on the dic... she says no... only average???
Old 05-31-2008, 07:04 AM

In case everyone forgot, they did lower the speed limits in the '70s to save fuel. It was a nightmare! Interstates were so bogged down I usually took the neaby US highway to get there quicker. Slowing down for small towns is much better than sitting in a traffic jam from an accident.
Old 05-31-2008, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by SandyBeach
In case everyone forgot, they did lower the speed limits in the '70s to save fuel. It was a nightmare! Interstates were so bogged down I usually took the neaby US highway to get there quicker. Slowing down for small towns is much better than sitting in a traffic jam from an accident.
first... must be gator

55 mph... gas rationing... designated gas days... montana had the conservation speeding ticket... go as fast as you want only one ticket a day (the state is over 500 miles accross). yep remember that... but gas is now over $4 a gal... predictions say $6 a gal by christmas.

won t have to worry about traffic... won t be none.

the news says how much the euros pay and how forunate we in the USA are... most of their fuel cost are state taxes... that pay for social programs so new mothers can take two years off with pay. our gas taxes hardly pay for the roads... here in WA the gvnr is always asking for a billion here a billion there for road, bridges and ferries. we even have variable toll HOV lanes that can cost up to $9 (NINE) to use. seattle is going to the variable speed limits like the german autobon. there when the speed is being controlled the trucker lanes are the faster ones.

anyone a rocket sceintist that can say what the impact difference is between 60 and 70 mph... if i remeber the 1970s 55mph the death rate from auto accidents was SUGNIFICANTLY reduced

anyway... if you slow down you SAVE gas.