General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

AC Compressor Time

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 03:58 PM

AC Compressor Time

Ok, finding more and more things that have failed over the long sit.. Turned on the AC, no cold air.
Checked for pressure while car is on, pressure is there; freeon full. It sounds like its pulsing through the vents almost. I need to look it clutch is even engaging. If not what brands do yall suggest on buying and staying away from?
Old 05-02-2018, 05:46 PM

First; is the CEL on? As has been discussed ad nauseum, a P0128 fault will inhibit the A/C.

I am taking the leap in guessing that you actually looked at the compressor pulley?
Old 05-02-2018, 05:48 PM

No active or stored CELs. Pulley kicks on for a few secs at a time, with very long periods of time between the kick on; thats with AC on high.
Old 05-02-2018, 06:15 PM
Administrator

Try a battery lobotomy, a full 30 minutes. Check the ground wires whilst the negative cable is disconnected, also inspect the underhood fuse box. Loose relays and or fuses can cause havoc
Old 05-02-2018, 06:48 PM

First thing I checked for was the fuses so I wouldn't be tracing down another electrical issue haha. I'll try the 30 min trick in the am.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:02 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by SwaintaN
No active or stored CELs. Pulley kicks on for a few secs at a time, with very long periods of time between the kick on; thats with AC on high.
If the "pulley kicks on for a few secs at a time" then how would you know that the freon is full ?
Worked on many auto AC's over the years. This sounds more like a low freon issue to me.
Hook up some AC gauges, jump the pressure switch to keep the clutch engaged then check your readings. I'll bet it's low.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:12 PM

Im not a pro by any chance, I bought one of the kits from Advance that has the gauge built on to it. Placed the connector on the the lower port and it registered in the "green" which was just listed as "good pressure" on the gauge. thats what i was going by
Old 05-04-2018, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
If the "pulley kicks on for a few secs at a time" then how would you know that the freon is full ?
This sounds more like a low freon issue to me.
Hook up some AC gauges, jump the pressure switch to keep the clutch engaged then check your readings. I'll bet it's low.
I agree with this.
You could take that bottle of freon from the parts house also and hook it to the low side and let the system cycle and see if the cycling is less when doing that.
That will prove the system needed a charge, but you don't know the complete story unless you hook up low and high pressure gauges to the system.
Old 05-04-2018, 04:06 PM

I'll have to see if the mechs I know have gauges that will attach to the high side port. Not even sure if this gauge will connect to high side. It says only fits on low port.

May have to have it diagnosed then have our mech just fix it.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:53 AM

FYI the green area is for reference when the clutch is pulled in/applied and is meant to be connected to the low side only.

Don't know which kit you got but here is a video.

Quick Reply: AC Compressor Time