General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Accident

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 12:05 PM

Angry Accident

Well, it finally happened. My first accident in 25 years. I have a sunburst orange, 2006 hhr in mint condition with 75k miles on it. Got smashed up the other day in that snow storm up here north of Boston. Car slid like it had a mind of it's own. Crunched the left front wheel/suspension and got hung up on a median. Smashed something in the tranny too because when I tried to get it in gear, it just ground like a butcher making hamburger! Then while I am sitting there stunned and amazed at the accident, another car comes around the corner and nails my right rear quarter. I am just hoping they total it and I can walk away and get something a wee bit better in the snow. The tires on it are less than a year old so I was surprised at just how poorly it handled.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:19 PM

You've got to consider though that we have fairly wide tires on a fairly light car, new tires won't change the weight displacement
Old 02-19-2010, 02:08 PM

Well, from the sounds of it no one got hurt. So that's a good thing. What I'm trying to figure out is your sudden negative attitude towards the car? Accidents happen. You've had the car for 4 winters now but this is the 1st time you've complained about winter handling? Again, accidents happen.
Old 02-19-2010, 02:14 PM

true, I didn't think of that. There was a point in my commute that I just kind of slid into the oncoming lane for no apparent reason.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by dbranga
true, I didn't think of that. There was a point in my commute that I just kind of slid into the oncoming lane for no apparent reason.
The stock tires are poor in winter conditions.....so this is not the vehicle's fault. I just drive accordingly.....but might buy some Blizzaks for future winters. The traction control actually does a decent job if you get overzealous on acceleration (coming from an SS LNF upgraded owner in Wisconsin), but the lack of vehicle control when driving is the light vehicle and wide, crappy tires. So try skinny tires or wide/quality tires for winter if the vehicle is 'scary'.

A bigger problem is people a few years ago with the snazzy Chrysler 300 and Dodge Chargers...... 4 door sedans, big engines, wide tires and rear-wheel drive......oh did they have a rude awakening for their first winter. Stuck at the bottom of hills, I just drove around them.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:43 PM

Sorry to hear...it's always a bummer to lose a car you really like to an accident. Out here we just mostly have moron drivers to worry about but back in the snow belts you guys have to contend with horrific road conditions too. I don't know how you do it!

If it was me, I'd buy a winter beater to drive in the snow. Something big, ugly and pre-dented!

Good luck in getting your ride repaired or replaced. Maybe it isn't damaged as bad as you think.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by RoadDawg831
If it was me, I'd buy a winter beater to drive in the snow. Something big, ugly and pre-dented!
That's what I do, it's big, somewhat ugly, but no dents!

Sorry to hear about your accident...
Old 02-19-2010, 05:08 PM

Sorry abut the crash...

There is nothing wrong with the HHR in snow. Only a few have issues and some of it is driver related and in this case I suspect it is the new tires and conditions did not agree. Nothing more or less.

The HHR drives as well as most FWD vehicles out there.

I have had 4X4 trucks slide onto the other lane for no reason other than road conditions like ruts, Ice and slush. I have had to deal with over 30" snow in the last 10 days and the HHR has not even given me a slight scare in anyway. In your case it was just one of those things where everything combined to created a problem you just did not get away with this time. Crap Happens no matter how many times you play those crunching seconds in you head. I have done it too after my crunch.

The bottom line like after my accident you walked away and you can get another car.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:18 PM

With 50+" I parked the SS. I have a truck with 10.5" wide tires that does just fine in unplowed stuff over a foot. I wouldn't consider a 225 tire wide, but the weight definitely has an effect. We're still not down to bare pavement and full lanes everywhere.

I hope you get whatever you want from the insurance though. Good luck.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:55 PM

Sorry to hear about your HHR, but if you have to pay the odds after 25 years, at least it didn't involve any personal injury to you or anyone else. As much as we love our HHRs, once they are replaced with another, we soon forget about the last one; not so with people.

Quick Reply: Accident