General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Accident

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 05:26 PM

Glad there was no injuries, Sounds to me like the cop may have caused the whole mess.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:50 PM

That sucks!!

I think a little duct tape might fix it up.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:54 PM

Okay guess I'm going to be the only one to defend the cop a little here. While it would have been smart for him to help assist her getting to the other side telling someone to get there doesn't make him responsible. If I'm driving with you and tell you to get over in the other lane that doesn't mean do it right now but rather do it when it is safe to do so. Just my I do believe however it was the girls fault and he should have assigned blame to her.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:02 PM

Yeah, maybe I went a bit overboard on the cop, but I think his not writing up a T/A report speaks for itself.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:46 PM
Platinum Member

Taking my Drivers test, (40 yrs ago) the Tester told me to make a Left turn on the course, The Sign said No Left Turn. I did not turn. But asked him why he did that.
He replied that: it's amazing how many do what they know is wrong since someone told them to do it, & they Fail the test.

FWIW
Old 01-18-2011, 01:14 PM

Great point there Sleeper. Kind of like the saying "if someone jumps off a bridge, would you follow suit?" type thing. BTW to the OP: that's a base model Neon SE you're driving as a loaner, they're pretty decent in snow and great on gas, I had a heavily modified one before I got into my SS.

Later
Allex
Old 01-18-2011, 01:30 PM

Hope the statement you got truly says what the cop instructed the girl to do. I would keep in good contact with you insurance company. Have them let you know if there is anything questionable. This cop was indeed in the wrong. If he is having someone move a vehicle, he needs to make sure it is done safely, which he did not. CYA is all he is thinking about. Her not getting a ticket or listed as fault demonstrates that. She pulled in front of you, how s that not her fault?

But the main thing is your ok. Car can be fixed.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:56 AM

Geez, you guys are all getting me concerned. I had faith things would eventually get sorted out in the end. Now you guys have me worried. I personally think the girl should have been ticketed, but the cop obviously didn't think so, and I can't force him to write her a ticket. He's a cop, and he will do what he wants. Doesn't mean I agree with it, but I can't do anything about that.

While the loaner car isn't that bad overall, I am quickly getting sick of the lack of features. Manual door locks (meaning you have to lock all 4 by hand), crank windows, manual mirrors, lack of a "pop trunk" button is all getting old real fast. It's about as stripped down as they come. Although I'm sure a little bit higher trim level Neon would have those. I'm shocked that it has cruise control and a CD player; those are luxuries. :) It gets a little bit better gas mileage than my HHR, but it's also a lot smaller and lighter. I don't mean to sound too negative; I am very thankful that I got a loaner. I guess a loaner isn't ever really supposed to be that nice. But I will certainly be glad when I get my HHR back.

So far, I haven't heard back from the shop yet. I'm thinking they must've gotten around to looking at my car by now, but maybe they didn't have a chance to contact me. I am going to call them tomorrow and see how things are moving along. They said I should be able to get it sometime next week when I first came. I had my insurance adjuster call me the other day, and she had me do a recorded interview over the phone. It was very odd, I have never been in an accident before, so all of this is new to me. During the recorded interview, when she asked, "Is there anything else that would be helpful to know?," I said that the girl admitted it was her fault when she got out of her car and started talking to me. She had told me that she realized it was her fault and that she should've looked before moving over. I only wish the cop was able to be as upfront and honest as her. While it wasn't necessarily his fault she didn't look, he was a party to her moving over. I agree with some people here that "No one's fault" seems like he took the easy way out and tried to get off scot-free. Hopefully that mess will all get sorted out. Thanks guys for the moral support! I'll let you all know when I hear more.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:18 PM

I got my car back today. They have it fixed up as good as new. Funny thing is that after 2 weeks of driving the Dodge Neon loaner car, I got in my HHR and felt like I was driving a monster truck. That Neon sat so low to the ground, and I notice that my HHR does have more of an "SUV seating postion" than a regular car. Took me about half an hour of driving it to start getting used to it again. I am very, very glad to have it back. When they called me, I couldn't have been happier. I had to drive that loaner for 2 full weeks, so I was very glad to finally have my own car back. However, when I got into it and started it up, the radio was not working. I have never had any problems with my radio. I shut it off and tried starting it again, still no luck. I tried pressing different buttons, and when I hit the "eject" button, it lights up and shows the time, and says "No Disc Inserted" like it normally would. But after a few seconds, it goes completely dark again, and is non-functional for the most part. I'm thinking that this may just be the result of it "sitting" around for 2 weeks. I normally drive my car every day. In fact, this is the longest I haven't driven my car. Do you guys think maybe it could be a blown fuse? Or should I maybe try disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it? Thanks. Other than that, the repair shop did a good job and was very helpful. I have chrome trim around my wheel wells, and they even placed an order with Race and Street for new chrome trim and installed it for me. I think they did a better job putting on the chrome than I did the first time.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:23 AM

2 week turn around is a fast reaction time.

I wonder if the radio problems is some kind of reflash problem with the ecm.

Quick Reply: Accident