General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Advice wanted

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 09:20 PM

Advice wanted

How's it going guys and gals? I last posted in a thread, way back when, about the SS and lately I've been really thinking about trade up for one. Come August it'll be three years with my 2LT. It has 20098 miles on it, no sun roof, no roof rack and cloth seats. I'm in the Army and stay on post work and home are pretty close, most of those miles came from trips to Memphis, TN and Navarre, FL.
Pentagon Federal Credit Union has no problem financing me, but they say the Blue book on the 06 is 2000 less than I owe. I want a blue one, no sun roof. Pioneer system and Brembo brakes and I know I'll lose the argument with the wife, so automatic. Guess I'm nervous about being 2 grand upside down.
So, how would you do this? Financing is covered, you know what you want, do you go in with $2000 in your pocket or put it on the current vehicle and let the dealer figure things out, or something else entirely? Thanks.

If I go through with this it'll probably be this fall.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:25 PM

If you can do it without a trade, you're better off. You'll get more selling privately. If BB is $2000 below what you owe, expect trade in to be even lower. You may end up rolling $5000 into your new loan if you aren't careful. Not saying ALL dealers do this, but enough do...
Old 03-08-2009, 09:28 PM

If your '06 has only 20,000 miles, that dealer would probably just love to get his hands on your HHR. First of all, you should be able to buy at factory invoice. Next, there are nice incentives out there from GM and perhaps some GM loyalty dollars. What kind of numbers is he talking?

Finally, if you went to Kelly Blue Book or Edmunds.com you could get a good read on what your's is really worth on the open market. Bet you could not only save the $2000 but pick up a grand for yourself.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:46 AM

Do not Trade! Aell it out right as the dealer even in good times will not give you what you could get out right. Clean it up well and set a fair price and you should be sell it.

If you can sve up the $2k and pay it off since your not buying till fall.Try to never put yourself upside down on a car trade. THat is why so many people are in money trouble toda. My buddy amost lost his house after several bad car trades and he makes good money.

Shop smart know what you want and what it should cost before hitting the dealer.
Use the web and shop around. I bought mine while at work on the web and got a hell of a deal.

Note too the dealer does not have to have your HHR in stock as they can pick it up for you in a dealer trade. I bought mine on a agreed price and then we found it and braguht it in to the dealer I wanted to buy it from at no extra charge.

I expect by fall it will still be a buyers market and GM's money trouble is not going to be much better. In fact all auto companies may be in some major cash flow problems as they are burning though their reserves now.

Also shop your own loan and but also see if the dealer can make a better offer. don't just blindly accepet their loan.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:07 AM

I know sometimes dealers in my area will have deals going on where they will pay off your trade, even if you owe $10,000 more than it's worth! (Yes, the exact wording...I've heard commercials for years!)

You could see if the dealer would do that for you, since I'm sure they'd want it with the low miles....and they want the sale of the new car too!
Old 03-09-2009, 08:44 AM

They will pay off your old car but they roll it into your new payment. Nothing is free.

The fine print is the catch!
Old 03-09-2009, 12:31 PM

don't be fooled
Blue Book is used by dealers because it gives them the best deal on your trade.

NADA gives the consumer the best value for the car, and dealers always scoff at it.

I find that Black Book gives the best real time car value

http://www.carquotes.com/tools/black_book_valuation
Old 03-09-2009, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by stephenm
don't be fooled
Blue Book is used by dealers because it gives them the best deal on your trade.

NADA gives the consumer the best value for the car, and dealers always scoff at it.

I find that Black Book gives the best real time car value

http://www.carquotes.com/tools/black_book_valuation

I tried to use this today and it after I entered in all of the information it wanted me to submit it for a dealer to respond. That's not what I'm looking for when I want a value on a car. Did I miss something?
Old 03-09-2009, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by AJochum
I tried to use this today and it after I entered in all of the information it wanted me to submit it for a dealer to respond. That's not what I'm looking for when I want a value on a car. Did I miss something?
Hmmm... I did it and it worked fine. I had to enter my info, and they emailed it to me.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by CrazyCarKid
I know sometimes dealers in my area will have deals going on where they will pay off your trade, even if you owe $10,000 more than it's worth! (Yes, the exact wording...I've heard commercials for years!)

You could see if the dealer would do that for you, since I'm sure they'd want it with the low miles....and they want the sale of the new car too!
They aren't doing you any favors. They are taking your negative equity and adding it on to your new loan.

Quick Reply: Advice wanted