General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Advice wanted

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by HillsdaleHHR
They aren't doing you any favors. They are taking your negative equity and adding it on to your new loan.
Is that how it works? I thought Hank Graff was just doing it out of the kindness of his heart!

But honestly, I've never had experience with it...I just hear the commercials.

Then how does he do the Push, Pull, or Drag sale?
Old 03-09-2009, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by CrazyCarKid
Is that how it works? I thought Hank Graff was just doing it out of the kindness of his heart!

But honestly, I've never had experience with it...I just hear the commercials.

Then how does he do the Push, Pull, or Drag sale?
That $1500 for any trade comes at the price of the $1500 they do not take off the sticker that they would take off anyway if you did not bring in a junker they send to Auction anyway. Just a scam.

Nothing is free and nothing is just given at the dealer.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
Nothing is free and nothing is just given at the dealer.
Ha ha...so true.

That's why you do like me and go to a dealer that is about to go belly up, and haggle on a car that they've had sitting for 5 months that's about to go to auction! Even after they've lowered the price $3500! Sickens me to think of how much profit they would have made if someone bought it right away. I wonder how much profit they made still when I bought it....

Ha ha ha ha ha....
Old 03-10-2009, 06:02 AM

Well the last 4 cars I went to dealers not going belly up. I usally do not deal with dealers on the edge. they often are that way becuse of poor sales practices.

I just hit them on the last week of the month in Feb or July.

I always know what they can sell a car for. I let them make me an offer and then I come back with my offer. Often they need to meet numbers in these months because of slow sales. They often will accept a fair deal. Floor plans often have to be paid off or the sale staff needs to meet the numbers required for them.

In some cases I deal on a cars they don't even have and let them pick it up and bring in what I want. They make the deal either way.

It all comes down to shopping smart and informed. Too many are uninformed when they go in and get burned too often. I see what people pay and all I can do is shake my head.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:20 AM

Thanks guys. So, 'sell it first, don't trade' seems to be the big idea. Hadn't thought of that one.
Black book did send me a quote and now it seems a dealer wants to talk to me.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Edaw 0
Thanks guys. So, 'sell it first, don't trade' seems to be the big idea. Hadn't thought of that one.
Might make a deal with the dealer and then have them give you a trade in quote after the fact.

I mostly sell out right but one time I traded after I got a good price on my new truck I went back a few days later to see what the trade would be since my buyer backed out. For some reason they offered me more than I was asking to sell it. I got a $25K Sonoma at $17K.

I then traded a 10 year old 100K mile 2WD S10 I only paid $9K for and they gave me $4K Trade in. I think someone at the dealer wanted my truck since it was in good shape.

It never hurts to ask but always do it after you make your deal. I most often do not even let them see what I have till after I make my deal. I don't want them to factor anything in.

Man car trading is so much like shopping in Tijuana
Old 03-10-2009, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Edaw 0
My advice would be to get the car professionally detailed before you sell it.

Makes a world of difference! My parents bought at 2000 Grand Prix because it was so clean, it looked like it was taken care of. Turns out we bought it from a guy who runs a junk yard, and the car had been almost totaled. (Also why you need to check carfax)