General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

After Market Air Box Reccommendation???

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 09:54 PM

After Market Air Box Reccommendation???

This is the 3rd time I have changed the air cleaner element in my '06 2.4 and I'm even more bent than I was the first time. Why would GM design, and let go into production such an over complicated and truely stupid design?

Has anybody installed/tried any of the aftermarket cold air intake systems that are on the market? I'm not much a believer in them as a performance item with a stock intake system but the idea of going through this nonsense again makes me consider installing one for it's simplicity and ease of maintenance.

If I ever meet the engineer who designed this thing I will need to be restrained

Last edited by Ktmrider; 01-09-2010 at 10:11 AM.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:49 PM

why? So most of the I "know what a wrench looks like , I think" crowd will become irritated and just take it to the dealer to deal with..... The hard core types just sigh and break out the POWERED wrenches.....
Old 01-08-2010, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Ktmrider
If I ever meet the engineer who designed this thing I will need to be restrained
I applaud your candid review..... And it is based upon actual experience.

Although they need little maintenance, just try working on a Japanese vehicle. With all of that fine "Asian Engineering", how the F**K do they ever expect anyone to replace a starter, alternator or fuel pump in those things? There's barely room for a wrench much less than the space to get your fingers around it. I've been there numerous times with my son who is now an experienced "knuckle bleeder" instead of a white collar car critic. Bottom line is don't believe the critics until you have worked on one, because chances are they never have.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:40 AM

Bad engineering.....

I agree, why didn't they just make the opening panel in the TOP of the plastic Helmholtz silencer box rather than the bottom, and hold it in with clips? Looking at it, it seems like a simple design issue that should have been caught before the first HHR rolled. It's like a joke they played on us it is so bad. It is puzzling why they would make something so baffling from an engineering perspective. I never changed the factory filter, as I installed a GM Performance Parts intake. It was easier than changing the factory filter. Now the lid pops right off with a couple of bolts. God Bless, Marc
Old 01-09-2010, 06:05 PM

You should have seen the tire store guy, who had a checklist and would not take my word for the filter being clean. He was very close to the air chisel! Did you ever notice how arrogant those guys can be? "I don't need your help to change a filter or re set your TPMS, I got a ASME badge!"
My only guess for the design is reflected in the price Mr. Goodwrench wants to r/r the filter, something like $35 plus the overpriced part something around $25, I think.