General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Air Bag SDM

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 09:49 PM

Air Bag SDM

Does anyone know for sure if a NEW airbag Diagnostic unit (SDM) and ROS (Roll Over Sensor) needs to be matched up to the BCM with a Tech II scanner? The Service Manual is not clear and my insurance adjuster seems to never have encountered an air bag situation that did not include a total loss. And of course it is totally useless to ask the local teats on a bull (Service Advisor) "leave the car and pay for a diagnostic".
Old 07-11-2013, 10:20 PM
Platinum Member

Sounds like a question for ChevyMgr.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:06 PM
Deceased

Found an old thread from 2010 Don, the SDM would need programming, and probably also the ROS. It looks like these are one shot modules, here's the thread.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/air-bag-srs-computer-module-replacement-29169/
Old 07-12-2013, 08:17 AM

The idea I'm getting is that a NEW module must have it's ID registered in the BCM, but the Mitchell OnDemand article is confusing as to how that is done. At one point it says turn the key on then off then on again, but then it says you need a TechII to insert the new ID number.

If you send your existing SDM off for reprogramming it comes back still registered in the BCM. Same firmware, new software. A NEW SDM comes with both new firmware and software.

I am getting NEW modules, so it's the BCM programming that I am trying to figure. Sometimes referred to as learning or matching.
All of those alphabet soup things are not helping my questions. Even being very specific in writing the insurance adjuster is confusing the issues. I had assumed that the adjuster would know more about it than I do,,NOT!
Old 07-12-2013, 10:06 AM
Deceased

Here's what I found thru Snap-On diagnostics....

"If the SDM is replaced or requires reprogramming, the following procedures must be performed in the specified order:

•Setup SDM-- Using a scan tool, go to Vehicle Control Systems » Computer/Integrating Systems » Module Setup » Supplemental Inflatable Restraint. Select Setup New SDM and follow the on-screen instructions.

•Setup SDM Part Number in BCM -- Using a scan tool, go to Vehicle Control Systems » Computer/Integrating Systems » Module Setup » Supplemental Inflatable Restraint. Select Setup SDM Part Number in BCM and follow the on-screen instructions."

What I haven't found yet is a procedure outlining anything on installing a new ROS module other than the usual Remove & Replace routine.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:28 PM

Mitchell says basically the same thing in the section on using the TechII scanner, the same thing for the ROS. I did go to the local Buick dealer and found they actually will talk to the commoners. Looks like I'll be paying $101 to get them both setup and a new ($15) fob matched. The Chevy dealer wanted to charge $ 51 extra for the fob, I do hate the local Chevy dealer and forgot about the Buick/GMC dealer (they are not related).

Oh well, question answered.