General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Air conditioning question 2009 2.4

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2020, 10:16 AM
Platinum Member

Captron quote:"I checked refrigerant and added a little but it is in the normal range."

Did it need freon or you just added some ? If it needed some, you've got a leak and that needs to be fixed.
If you just "added a little" to see if it would help, then it's probably overfilled.
Checking the AC gauge readings (both high and low pressures) would point you to the problem if it's system related. IF you know how to interpret and diagnose pressure readings.
Old 06-16-2020, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350
Whether the air coming out of the vents is hot or cold, if you have the AC on, the compressor should be running.

You may have a bad HVAC head unit. Or something related to compressor or refrigerant.
Yes, the compressor is running. Clutch cycling. Refrigerant pressure ok on low side port.
Old 06-16-2020, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Captron quote:"I checked refrigerant and added a little but it is in the normal range."

Did it need freon or you just added some ? If it needed some, you've got a leak and that needs to be fixed.
If you just "added a little" to see if it would help, then it's probably overfilled.
Checking the AC gauge readings (both high and low pressures) would point you to the problem if it's system related. IF you know how to interpret and diagnose pressure readings.
No, I'm not an air conditioner expert. I've recharged numerous of my vehicles over the years but that's it. The pressure on the low side was not abnormally low when I first checked it. It was within normal range per the AC Pro guage. I put a can of 134a on it but it didnt take a whole can before approaching excessive pressure. I stopped. The compressor is cycling. I can watch it engage and disengage easily.Air out of vents is warm to hot. No cold.
Old 06-16-2020, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
I’m gonna go out on a limb here and ask , have you changed the thermostat and coolant, then burped the system?
no, I have not done anything to the cooling system
Old 06-16-2020, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Could be a roving air pocket. Have you checked the coolant level, under the pressure cap and the tank?
Thanks for the owners manual. I know I will get flack for asking this, but why does the compressor come on if "recirculate" is chosen? It seems to me on other cars i've owned that the compressor only came on if and only if I turned on air conditioner. What is purpose of compressor in non ac mode?
Old 06-16-2020, 09:00 PM

If the clutch is cycling something is wrong. Temperature is controlled by adding heat
Old 06-16-2020, 09:20 PM
Platinum Member

You really should put a full set of gauges on it and check both the high and low side pressures. Those AC Pro low side only things are just for adding freon. They're not for doing any diagnostics.
Checking an AC is like taking your blood pressure. Got to have a high and low to tell anything. ---/80 blood pressure wouldn't mean a thing.
Old 06-16-2020, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
If the clutch is cycling something is wrong. Temperature is controlled by adding heat
Don, another dumb question....why would the vents blow ANY cold air if the AC button is not turned on but recirculate is on? Mine has.
Old 06-16-2020, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
You really should put a full set of gauges on it and check both the high and low side pressures. Those AC Pro low side only things are just for adding freon. They're not for doing any diagnostics.
Checking an AC is like taking your blood pressure. Got to have a high and low to tell anything. ---/80 blood pressure wouldn't mean a thing.
I do appreciate your help. I don't have the tools or expertise to check or interpret high and low diagnostics. I was hoping something simple I could handle. BTW, just looked at it again with full max fan and AC turned on, the clutch is cycling but only in really short bursts, like 1 second then off......5 seconds later another 1 second engagement....over and over and over.
Old 06-16-2020, 10:02 PM
Platinum Member

As stated, you need to put a set of gauges on to see what the high/low pressures are. If it's full of freon (but you don't know for sure) and cycling like you say, then the pressure switch may be bad. Granted I'm guessing here.
If you wanted to try replacing that switch, it's down by the compressor on the main AC line block. The silver thing inside the red circle

Quick Reply: Air conditioning question 2009 2.4