General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

ANOTHER new sub model?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 11:23 AM

ANOTHER new sub model?

The August 20 update to the dealer order guide shows order code ATY--"Rear Seat Delete". Then it goes on with a bunch of cryptic qualifiers that are difficult to read. I am not sure if it says it is only available on fleet orders or not available on fleet orders except LS fleet orders. Anyway, if you can delete the rear seats on the new model without the rear window, I think that would be a really nice "semi-panel" version.

It also shows order code AA5 for "Rear Quarter Panel" which I assume means the rear window delete model.

btw, I am the guy who has been driving a HHR disguised as a Cobalt LS for more than a year now trying to decide which HHR I want. Just when I figured it out and got ready to order the Panel rumors started flying. Then, when my dealer said I could order that one, I started hearing about the rear window delete model and now I want that one. Crimeny, it might take me until model year 2011, or something, to finally get the thing. But it is good to see Chevy tweaking the coolest car ever built so EVERYBODY can get it just the way they want it. How about a 3.6 liter VVT option? 6 speed too!
Old 08-19-2007, 03:03 PM

Yep! The more options they have available, the more customers they can satisfy. Plus many of us current owners will get the itch to upgrade.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by SandyBeach
Yep! The more options they have available, the more customers they can satisfy. Plus many of us current owners will get the itch to upgrade.

I agree, it sounds like maybe GM is checking out the differant forum sites.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:29 AM

At the Nat'l Truck Equipment Assoc. show (NTEA) GM has shown the HHR twice. Just before it was released (2LT w/windows) and last year (2LT Panel). Both times various shelving and truck accessory companies were looking at it as a commercial use vehicle for light utility use. Based on their input and or fleet inquires this may be why the direction is being taken.

However, remember that the Vega had a panel, called a sedan delivery and it flopped. Even enthusiasts like us didn't buy it. However, with today’s gas prices, the HHR has a better chance of survival.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Hotrodbob
.....However, remember that the Vega had a panel, called a sedan delivery and it flopped. Even enthusiasts like us didn't buy it..
There was a good reason the Vega flooped, it was junk. It must have been a prototype for the Chevette, which was worse.
I've been there, done that !
Old 08-27-2007, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by Dave C
There was a good reason the Vega flooped, it was junk. It must have been a prototype for the Chevette, which was worse.
I've been there, done that !
I had both and raced them too. Vega went 80,000 miles before the first engine blew and the Shovette was just a rebodied Isuzu I-Mark. It had it's problems, but was ok for the $2000 price tag.

The key on the Vegas was oil changes. I used Castrol GTX and then Synthetic. Changed every 2000 miles. Spun a bearing at 70mph in a sweeper turn when the oil sloshed away from the pick-up. Other then that it was a great car and 30 MPG in 1974. Mine was a '71 GT, 4sd, header, ported and factory .020 over bore. Chevette was a fun little car. Ran an SCCA solo event and took the class one time. Only thing I did was pump the tires up to 40psi.

Heard about the bad reps they had, but I never had a real problem that I didn't cause.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:02 PM

I don't think optional rear seat delete would necessarily mean a new submodel but as an option some people might want it on non-panel HH's. I might have gone for it but decided against the panel because (a) it costs more, which makes no sense for a decontented model aimed at the commercial delivery market and (b) I did not find rear visibility to be one of the HHR's greatest strong points in the first place. So, the idea of replacing 4 out of 5 smallish rear windows with sheet metal did not seem like a good idea for somebody like me, who must daily navigate a crowded parking lot that turns into a dodgem ride at rush hour every day.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:59 PM

I had Vans in the '70's. Mirrors work just fine for me on the blind spots.