General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Antenna question

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 11:36 AM
Banned

Antenna question

Has anyone elses antenna hit their sunroof? On my way home I was in a rush so I got my HHR up a little over 100 mph and my antenna started smacking the sunroof. This wasn't the first time I had it over 100 but it is the first time the antenna hit the sunroof. I had the sunroof open in vent possition so that probably helped a little. I can't wait for a shorty billet antenna to come along so I can ditch the factory ugly antenna. It left a mark on the sunroof but it came out with a little elbow grease and a shop rag.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:06 PM

I have heard of this on another forum. Someone there said that the antenna for the VW New Beetle will work on the HHR. They bought a shorty antenna on eBay for around $10. A 6-8 inch antenna should not be able to flex enough to slap the sunroof.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:21 PM
Banned

Thanks!!!!! I was expecting a smart a** keep it under 100 speech from someone. I know someone with beetle so I'll check and make sure her antenna fits first.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:57 PM

100 MPH, cool!!!!!, acutually I took mine up close to 100, backed down pretty quickly, highway area and did not want to chance a ticket. So I did not get any antenna bob, that was noticeable, but I will try again, HA!!!!
Old 11-28-2005, 03:02 PM
jx3

[QUOTE=captain howdy]Has anyone elses antenna hit their sunroof? On my way home I was in a rush so I got my HHR up a little over 100 mph and my antenna started smacking the sunroof. This wasn't the first time I had it over 100 but it is the first time the antenna hit the sunroof. I had the sunroof open in vent possition so that probably helped a little.

Just returned from a road trip, getting up to 100 mph, did not notice any problem w/ the antenna. But my sunroof was closed, and I have an antenna ball on it.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:16 PM
Banned

Maybe I was driving into a gust of wind or something. It struck me as odd because like I said I have done over 100 before with no problems. As soon as it hit I backed of the pedal and brought it back down to 90 because I didn't want it to keep smacking. I'll try again on my way home tonight if traffic allows.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:35 PM

Hi CH - I have some cool little shorty replacements coming into our store this week - black stubbies; about 2.5 inches long. They look great! I will post pics in this thread as soon as they arrive. (*Our windshield graphics should be in this week too!)

Hope it helps,
Old 11-28-2005, 03:44 PM
Banned

Let me know when you get them in and I'll be first in line.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by captain howdy
Has anyone elses antenna hit their sunroof? On my way home I was in a rush so I got my HHR up a little over 100 mph and my antenna started smacking the sunroof. This wasn't the first time I had it over 100 but it is the first time the antenna hit the sunroof. I had the sunroof open in vent possition so that probably helped a little. I can't wait for a shorty billet antenna to come along so I can ditch the factory ugly antenna. It left a mark on the sunroof but it came out with a little elbow grease and a shop rag.
Personally, I think if you were driving your car at a 100mpg with your sunroof open, you go to be out of your mind. Just where were you doing this?
Old 11-28-2005, 05:40 PM

It had to be wind. I read the same thing in another fourm as well. I drove my car in the mid 90's and mid 100's in 3 different states. NY, NJ, (Own 2LT) and FL (Rental LS while on business) Neither problems with the attenna. However on a side not the LS that I had for the Rental did not have a sunroof.

Quick Reply: Antenna question