General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Any OnStar Deals?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 10:40 AM

Any OnStar Deals?

My free 1 year membership for OnStar on the SS is just about up. I purchased a few extra phone minutes and have used it a few times.
Overall it is nice having the piece of mind included with OnStar, but it is not necessary. I don't know how much adding another year would cost, but I'm not willing to pay too much. Does anyone know how much it is, or if there are any deals like their was on the XM?
Old 01-05-2009, 10:45 AM

$200 / yr

So you tell me, if you're not subscribed, and you crash, they won't know?

I say this because I was in a rental G6 several months ago and hit the onstar button not knowing what the heck it was, and they came on and were more than willing to assist if I gave them a credit card number.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:50 AM

I think they would know, just wouldn't do anything.....
Old 01-05-2009, 12:16 PM

did a quick search and didn't see anything right away, I can do a more thorough search later. Somehow i'm going to guess no though.

Long ways off still but I might be up in Grand Haven late July.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:18 PM

Let me know if/when you do come into town.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by esmarkey
I think they would know, just wouldn't do anything.....
so I wonder, if they get an airbag deployment indication, and don't act on it, and someone dies as a result, are they liable for negligence? they knew the airbag popped, but didn't take any action? hmm....
Old 01-05-2009, 01:58 PM

I was just going over my CC statement and found a bill for $1.50 to ONSTAR Subscription services I called and asked about the charge and was told that it was my "automated" renewal fee! I never signed up for any automated renewals.
Anyway, they said that my service would run out on 1/30/09 and the $1.50 charge would bring me up to my "bill date" of 2/2/09 what ever that is (they couldn't explain).
Since I was ticked off that they charged my card without notifying me (I know, it was only $1.50, but it was the principle), I asked to cancel my subscription. At that time I was transfered to the "cancellation expert" and told that I could get the Employee pricing of $148.92/year if I didn't cancel....
So, I am thinking about it.

I want to help GM, is OnStar part of GM, or are they an independent company like XM?

What do you all think, $0.41/day for OnStar. Is it worth it?
Old 01-05-2009, 02:09 PM

I promise you that you will think $0.41/day is worth it if you ever have to use it for an emergency. Not to mention things like door unlocks (save the bill of having someone come out and do it) among the other perks.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:45 PM
Platinum Member

NOBODY can really tell YOU if it's "worth it". That's an individual's situation based decision. His situation IS DIFFERENT than yours or mine.

The renewal is "automatic" (unless you call and cancel BEFORE expiration)if you supplied OnStar your credit card number for any reason. It states that in the policies folder.

I, as well as several other members, originally supplied a CC number that expires before the renewal date. That way automatic renewal cannot occur.

I did renew mine, today, for the $148.92 per annum. I'm sending a check in after discussion the renewal with a Customer Service Rep. And they extended my existing phone call minutes thru the duration of the new contract (it's the only "cell" phone I use).

Anyway, the $148.92/yr. deal appears to be the best they offer at this time.

Anyone???????
Old 01-05-2009, 02:48 PM

if they're willing to take you down to that price so quickly i would milk them for. Retentions is a great place to be at the end of a contract for cell phones or anything like that.

Sometimes it would work saying you know a guy who god X.XX price or some other method.

None the less, I would counter offer. If they loose you, they get $0, if they keep you for whatever price you agree to, then they get that much, pretty simple money for them...

Quick Reply: Any OnStar Deals?