General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Anybody know of a V8/V6 transplant or a convertible conversion HHR?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012 | 03:10 AM

Thinking about it more I do not think that notching the inner wells would even be necessary. The V8 is very close in length to our 4 cyls and our motors already fit between the wheel wells. The width of the motor all the way out to the headers is narrower then it is long so it should not even require notching the firewall. If anything it might need a few inches of reshaping done to the firewall but it would be far less then what is needed to fit the tranny when going RWD.

Fun wise the RWD is certainly more but this is FAR less work.
Old 07-26-2012 | 11:41 AM
DEW

3.5 v6 in hhr

I am currenly putting a 3.5l lz4 in my '09 hhr. I just finished the mounts yesterday. I will get them powder coated soon. Electronic issues shall soon follow. But, i am not too worried, i'm sure someone out there can help me re-program. After all it is still a internal combustion engine and there is nothing new under the sun. Pistons still go up and down, valves still open and close, just need some spark and some gas. Yes it's still fwd but so is the ss and they can be fun. Not everything has to go to the track. I will post some pics when i figure out how.
Old 07-26-2012 | 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by DEW
I am currenly putting a 3.5l lz4 in my '09 hhr. I just finished the mounts yesterday. I will get them powder coated soon. Electronic issues shall soon follow. But, i am not too worried, i'm sure someone out there can help me re-program. After all it is still a internal combustion engine and there is nothing new under the sun. Pistons still go up and down, valves still open and close, just need some spark and some gas. Yes it's still fwd but so is the ss and they can be fun. Not everything has to go to the track. I will post some pics when i figure out how.

Post up pics of the build and what yo have so far. We'd all love to see the progress.
Old 07-27-2012 | 10:00 AM

You could always try something llike this.

Find yourself a donor HHR & a old V8 Bonne or Caprice and "chop" "chop" and some "glue"

Old 07-27-2012 | 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by 11BlueJ
You could always try something llike this.

Find yourself a donor HHR & a old V8 Bonne or Caprice and "chop" "chop" and some "glue"

Don't forget a few cases a duct tape.....
Old 07-27-2012 | 11:24 AM
Rest In Peace

Old School I am. Nothing like a RWD car for Performance. For me at least .

This FWD crap is not my cup of tea really.

The HHR could have had a V-6 in it from the factory pretty easily I think, the driveshaft hump is pretty much already there, they put the exhaust in it.

Looking at the interior, the trans hump could have been incorporated in as well, the space under the dash behind the center console is open wasted space.

I love my HHR Panel for what it IS, but man I would have LOVED at least a 4.3 V-6 Option, Preferably a small block V-8, NON transverse mounted of course.

But as it is, A 2.4L four banger I will make it all it can be (or I can afford to make it be) with a Supercharger installed with several other performance goodies I have been collecting for her. Planning on installing it all this Fall if I can save up a few more bucks by then to get her done.

She'll be Parked all Winter this year, unless we somehow manage a MILD Winter here and I sneak her out now and then for a few cold dry street runs now and then for fun. But I don't want any more damn Salt on her thats for sure.

Old 07-27-2012 | 01:09 PM

4.3L V6 would been nice, especially for the torque. If I remember right, my 2001 Chevy xtreme had 190 hp stock with the 4.3 which is what, about 20 more than our 2.4L? I guess the difference was in the weight and the torque...my S-10 ran like a raped ape, especially after I did a full K&N intake, full exhaust, and Hypertech programmer. I miss that truck!
Old 07-27-2012 | 02:59 PM

I think the problem with a 4.3 is that it is way heavier than our 4 bangers for not much more power. I would think the best results would be from a Corvette aluminum v8 and a rear mounted tranny. Help keep weight down and distribute it more evenly. However i am with most others a ss would be enough. Conversion to ss awd would be the shiznit.
Old 08-15-2012 | 08:24 PM
DEW

My wife finally figured out how to post pics. So, check out my gallery. More will follow. Dew
Old 08-15-2012 | 08:36 PM
Rest In Peace

And I'll help by getting them in the Thread for you.

Keep us posted.

Quick Reply: Anybody know of a V8/V6 transplant or a convertible conversion HHR?