General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Anybody tried putting a rack or anything on their HHR?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 10:35 PM
Banned

I emailed Yakima a few months ago and they said they weren't going to support the HHR. I have a feeling it's because GM gave the OEM accessories supplier deal to Thule.

I wouldn't worry about the paint warranty. It'll just affect the roof and if you do the prep work right, you won't have to worry about rust.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:46 PM

I haven't done these myself...but from what I understand they are a breeze to put on. They just clamp right on and you're good to go. No fuss...no muss.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:12 AM

Hi Courthousedeb!

Thanks for the info. You're right in saying it was the dealer who told us we couldn't do it, it was actually a lot of dealers. Fact is we don't intend to put anything too heavy on it. Just the bulky stuff that takes up space when we go camping, like a couple of rolled up sleeping bags, a couple of Thermarests, our fold up camping chairs, the tent, which is light weight, just light weight stuff. I doubt there would be fifty pounds on top.

On top of that, we only paid $260.00 at Saturn to have a roof rack put on our station wagon last year, so that $800.00 Chevy wants to install one seems steep, but perhaps a price we'd pay if we felt it would be done right. Still, OUCH!

I emailed both Yakama and Thule and both of them sent emails telling us they don't have anything to fit the HHR.

I'll pass the info you folks have shared tonight with my hubby. We are a week and a half away from our yearly camping trip, and it would be great to get to use our car top carrier. Makes for a lot less stress when you can put the bulky stuff up on top, and makes the trip a whole lot easier to have easy access to the stuff in the car.

Sure glad I saw all this info tonight. Thanks folks!

PS The $800.00 the dealer wants, where we bought our car, said that's for the whole rack, cross bars and all, plus labor.

Last edited by Rrailwriter; 06-27-2007 at 12:19 AM. Reason: additional info.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:28 AM

Okay, just talked to my husband and he had the car in to Chevy for an oil change yesterday, not the same dealership we bought it from, and they told him they "WON'T" put a rack on our LS.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:01 AM
Banned

Order the rack rails and either do it yourself or have a body shop do it. That's how all the LS and 1LT owners who didn't have it installed at POS did it.

Might also try the Yakima track system. IMHO, looks cleaner than the OEM design.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:21 PM

Thanks!
Old 06-28-2007, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by xnigma
Thanks for all the responses, I appreciate it. I'm trying to stay away from the factory rack because I really don't want to spend all the money for it, and I don't think it will give me the distance I want to support my kayak. (It's over 12ft and I want a good amount of dispersion to support it.) Yakima has tracks that you can bolt to any vehicle which I'm thinking is probably my best option. If installing any rack, including the GM rack, onto the vehicle outside of the factory voids the paint warranty, then I figure I have nothing to lose. I don't want to do it myself in fear that I'll screw something up, but my dealership said they'd install them for me for $180. Has anyone ever seen these tracks installed or know any reason why I shouldn't get them?

Here is a link to Yakimas page for the tracks:
http://www.yakima.com/Product.aspx?id=171
I have those on my minivan and they work great at supporting my Thule 2-kayak rack. But, I'm sure the Windstar roof is much stronger than the HHR roof. When I use the foam blocks in my pictures, the roof bends as I tighten the straps. I tried to place them as close to the front and back of the car as possible for more support.

I would suggest you make certain those tracks are bolted into any cross beams on the roof.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:20 PM

Update!!

Hubby took our Silver Streak into a Chevy place today and we now have a roof rack. He asked to talk to a manager, the manager came along and said they sure can put a roof rack on our car, they do it ALL the time.

Yeehaa! We are ready to cruise up the road!
Old 07-10-2009, 05:43 PM

Courthouse Deb,
Can you give a closeup of the ferring you're using? You have my exact set-up and I'm having the dealer install the rails on my SS next week. I bought the cross bars also but after seeing the Thule bar, I'll likely sell mine and just use the Thule when needed.
Sweet ride, BTW.
JIm
Old 07-10-2009, 06:23 PM

Dynasport Perrycraft Roof Rack System

Check this out! This is the system I will probably end up getting.

http://www.buyautotruckaccessories.c...sored%2BSearch

Quick Reply: Anybody tried putting a rack or anything on their HHR?