General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Anyone carrying a dog kennel?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 09:03 AM

Anyone carrying a dog kennel?

First off, I wanted to thank everyone for the wealth of HHR knowledge that is contained in this forum. I have been watching the HHR since before it hit the streets and trying to decide if I want to take the plunge.

Now that it has been out for a while, and I have had an opportunity to play with several of them, I think I am pretty close to making the decision to buy one. I think that there are going to be tons of accessories available for this vehicle for both performance and looks. I have also already dreamed up several custom projects for it and I haven't even bought one yet.

The biggest concern I still have is space. I currently have a mini van that my wife and I bought for the space. We liked the idea of having the extra seats, but quickly realized that we hardly use them (we only have 2 kids). We both agree that the 3rd row won't be requirement for our next vehicle. in fact, my wife is leaning towards better fuel mileage over seating capacity. The other nice thing was that our dog could sit in her kennel in the back of the van when traveling and we still had room for luggage. That is where my concern still is. Has anyone tried to fit a kennel behind the back seat? I haven't measured yet, but it doesn't look like one would fit. I would want it to sit with the door facing the back so the dog could easily jump in and out without having to pull out any suit cases.

I have thought about just throwing her blanket in the back, but she is a very nervous traveler and occasionally will try and come up to the front of the car if she is not in her kennel. Secondly, safety wise, I think it would be better for her to be contained in the kennel if we ever slammed on the brakes or were in an accident.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated,
NG
Old 02-18-2006, 09:50 AM

What are the measurements of the kennel? I can probably tell you if it will fit if you can tell me how big the kennel is.
Old 02-18-2006, 01:42 PM

I don't have to use her current kennel. She could travel in a smaller one. The kennel she sleeps in is much larger than she needs.

Can you tell me depth and width of the area behind the back seat?

Thanks,
NG
Old 02-18-2006, 02:05 PM

I measured from about half way up the back of the seat to the door and its just about 27" and its 42" wide from side to side.
Old 02-18-2006, 02:14 PM

Thanks. That helps me quite a bit. The dealer also said I could bring a car by the house and try it out. I think I may need a slightly smaller kennel for traveling.
Old 02-18-2006, 03:12 PM

Well I think you will love it.I went from driving a van to carry my wheelchair to the HHR and I have plenty of room in the back for my chair and a few suitcases easy.I'm only 26 so its nice not to have to drive a van anymore.
Old 02-18-2006, 03:29 PM

This is definately a much nicer looking ride than any van on the road. Do you lay your chair down in the back, or does it stand up? Do you have any issues with things sliding around on the plastic floor, or do you use the carpet mat?
Old 02-18-2006, 03:36 PM

My chair sits flat and the wheels come off.The plastic is a little slick but no problems with the carpet.
Old 02-18-2006, 03:53 PM

I've moved a weight set that my friend gave me. I had to take down the back seats in order to move the bench in. There was plenty of cargo space.
Old 02-18-2006, 09:50 PM

We're thinking of getting a pet barrier. Our Choc. Lab and Shih Tzu and 8 yr old Son can't all fit in the back seat.

The barrier would give the lab the whole back, but keep her from trying to come over the back seat. We've also looked at some of the soft-sided carriers like the PetTent

Quick Reply: Anyone carrying a dog kennel?