General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Anyone install a passing light?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 07:10 PM

Question Anyone install a passing light?

There may be a different name for this exterior light, but 40 years back when I was doing some road rallies, you'd install what was called a "passing light."

This was a spot-type beam set up to focus out around where the regular high beams are centered, but pointing at the shoulder of the road. It was helpful in a situation where someone is coming towards you either with high beams on, or in a much higher vehicle where the headlights are blinding you. At least you could keep an eye on the edge of the road.

I'm old enough that my night vision is not what it was a few decades back, and a passing light on my HHR would be a real benefit. I just can't decide where you'd mount such a thing. It has to be mounted higher than the HHR's fog lights, probably about the same level as the main headlight.

There are plenty of lamps that would be suitable, and I'd probably opt for an HID type, or a 100 watt halogen. It's just a matter of determining where to mount the dang thing.

Any ideas?