General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Armrest Modification

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 05:43 PM

Armrest Modification

I have an idea about a mod to my Raptor armrests I want to run by the HHR nation. My vision is to remove the pass. seat armrest and refab the drivers side to make it wider. This would eliminate the issue of combining armrests and then needing to keep seats in same position. I'm going to check some upholstery shops about modifying armrest. I was also wondering if GM makes a wider armrest that uses the same bracket for another vehicle. Maybe some of our GM parts Gurus can research this. Any comments or advice are appreciated..
Old 02-16-2010, 08:18 PM

What about access to the cup holders? I take it yours is not a five speed, since that space between the arm rests is needed to shift.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:31 PM

Access to cupholders not an issue, I'm going wider not longer. Total width would measure around the same as both current armrests down. I do have an automatic but I read a lot of the guys with 5-speeds getting armrests. It must not impede their powershifting...
Old 02-17-2010, 08:44 AM

The problem I see is if you and your passenger have different ideas about the position of the armrest.Say one of you wants it down and the other wants it up-what do you do?With separate armrests the issue doesn't occur.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by ZTony8
The problem I see is if you and your passenger have different ideas about the position of the armrest.Say one of you wants it down and the other wants it up-what do you do?With separate armrests the issue doesn't occur.
Well, my Lumina only has the one armrest on the bench seat...never been a problem for me. The truck on the other hand? Not a singe armrest...that's not fun!
Old 02-17-2010, 10:01 AM

I installed this one in my Honda Element...sounds like what your are describing.

http://www.handa-accessories.com/vie...entarmrest.jpg
Old 02-17-2010, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Cajun
I installed this one in my Honda Element...sounds like what your are describing.

Is it attached to just the passenger's side? Does it flex much?
Old 02-17-2010, 02:22 PM
Platinum Member

You could easily mod yours yourself:

Remove armrest, then remove the covering, next remove the white foam padding. You will then be at the steel frame then, you could weld on a wing (or bolt on), re-pad it, & cover it with your choice of materials..

Shouldn't be hard to do at all.. Tools needed: a screwdriver to pop end cap off. And then a 14mm deep-well socket to remove armrest bolt (watch to not lose any washers)....

just my .02
Old 02-17-2010, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by terryk
Is it attached to just the passenger's side? Does it flex much?
It attaches to the drivers seat and spans the distance between the seats to
provide a rest to both passengers. Hardly any flex, with inside storage.

AND, it comes in grey...which would match my interior. Now ya got me thinking how much I would like it in my HHR......Hummmmmm...
Old 02-17-2010, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Cajun

OK, now who wants the shell out the bucks to give this a try!

Quick Reply: Armrest Modification