General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

AUTO START run time change?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 06:40 PM
Founding Member

Thermostat is my OFBG.

Originally Posted by whopper
if it isn't warming up fast enough, it will trigger the CEL, and blank out the temp reading on the DIC with "----", and the analog temp gauge will bottom out.

Ie: the same symptoms as a stuck-open thermostat
Not always on the CEL.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:46 PM

Not faliliar with 'OFBG'. Is that similar to 'SWAG'?
Old 02-08-2012, 06:58 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by db/sb
Not faliliar with 'OFBG'. Is that similar to 'SWAG'?
Online Forum Best Guess.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by RICKYVB
Blend Door sounds about right. The temperature reads properly and has no issues with the old issue I had showing ( _ _ _ ) and the check engine light being on.

Both gauges have no issue reading the temperature!

Here's the thing though. Once I start driving it down the road. It gets hotter, quick. Just idling though, it stays around 162*F.

When driving, the heat coming out of the vents is normal to me. Basically the same temp as my 2008 HHR was. No difference but, my 2008 hhr would reach that temp at idle too. Never had an issue with the Run time on the 2008. It would warm up and defrost the windshield with ease.

Kinda thinking, maybe this thermostat releases prematurely causing the radiator fluid to not heat up enough. Basically, it holds enough for the hhr's computer to read the temperature but, releases sooner then a factory thermostat would. Allowing the coolant to circulate early and get prematurely cooled.

***ALSO***

Kinda wondering if maybe once, I start driving the vibration causes the blend door to open the rest of the way to full heat.

Not a big deal to me. Just would be nice to work out the bugs. I don't mind starting the car myself and heating it up by giving it a little gas. I just like things to work like they where designed to work.

Any help would be great! Thanks, in advance for your time.
Please do a visual check of your coolant level!!! Not just the bottle, but open the pressure cap (while engine is cold) you should see lots of coolant. You are sort of describing a bubble in the cooling system. Also, get a new pressure cap, if it's bad the back and forth does not work = low coolant.

I have cleared all of my bubbles out now that I got a new engine, blown head gasket causes bubbles and high pressure = coolant low, no refill from bottle. And the mechanic that installed the new engine did not fill the coolant correctly, fixed now.

If you run the engine with the pressure cap off up to operating temp and see bubbles in the coolant, or keep being able to burp it by squeezing the hose more than a time or two. You got problems.

Having said all of that... mine goes hot and cold on the highway while the DIC temp stays constant.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:44 AM

No issues with bubbles. Coolant is at correct levels. Inside the radiator and the Refill container. No big deal. Thanks guys for the help. I don't mind it running cold at idle.

Better then over heating I guess.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:37 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
Thermostat is my OFBG.

Not always on the CEL.
True. The CEL doesn't always come on - but typically the analog gauge bottoms out along with the DIC temp showing ---- instead of the temp.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:56 PM

The problem is, if the coolant level is low the temp reading won't always alert you to overheating until it's too late. Refer to my "new engine", the gauge went from 196 to 240 in a blink. The temperature is the temp of whatever the probe is in; if it is air, coolant or slag.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:11 PM

Problem solved, thanks to the accident. I had to put a new radiator on and new coolant in. No issue now. Heats up far before the time limit ends.