General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

B&M Shift Plus

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 05:57 PM

B&M Shift Plus

I found this post about the B&M Shift Plus Electronic Shift Improver. The dude says it really works great. Its a pretty inexpensive mod too. Only $32 to get rid of the sluggish shifting in your automatic trans. I ordered one and will give you all a report once I get it installed. Forgive me if this has been covered already. I did a search on the product and found nothing. heres the link to that post:

[URL="http://admin link edit"]

Last edited by SindyDix; 11-28-2007 at 06:48 PM. Reason: admin link edit
Old 11-28-2007, 06:19 PM

Your (or anyone elses) money would be much better spent on a good tune that includes both the engine and trans management settings. There is much room for improvement on both.

If that link that doesn't work is what I think it is, it is a person who doesn't have a clue about real performance issues and writes embellished reports that would make anyone without real technical knowledge believe that a decal for (your choice of products) will result in humongous performance gains.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:05 PM

I recently installed the shift plus on my 2.2 auto and it made a huge improvement to the way the transmission shifts. It is much shorter, faster shift and holds the transmission in gear longer in most cases. If you like the smooth stock shifts this is not a mod for you. It can be turned off if you only want to use it occasionally. I like it.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:41 PM

For the life of me, I do not understand how people can put down something they have not tried themselves.

Just for the record, I know a little more about cars than your average female, and you cannot do a tune to a 2006 2.2L HHR, which is what the guy you are bashing has, so this is the only option available at this time to beef up a 2006. Since the post originator has a 2007, he can go either way...so let him try it...if he doesn't like it, he's only out $32.

Besides...how much does a tune cost? Not everyone can afford to throw money at their HHR and if this is a cost effective way to beef up how the car performs for a fraction of the cost, I say go for it. I certainly would if mine was an automatic.

Last edited by courthousedeb; 11-28-2007 at 08:34 PM.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:22 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by ezeerider
I ordered one and will give you all a report once I get it installed.
We'll wait for his report!
Old 11-28-2007, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by SindyDix
We'll wait for his report!
I'm looking forward to hearing his thoughts as well.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:48 PM

Uhhhh, folks, this is the 2.4 section...

Why all the sudden comments about the 2.2s, which should be posted in their own section. And, knowing first hand what tuning can do on the 2.4, it really is a shame that there are no full tuning ECM solutions for the 2.2s. Maybe someday. Yes, the B&M kit is just about all there is for the 2.2 trans now, but doesn't offer the custom features that other solutions have.

Oh, BTW, a friend with a Cobalt 2.4 auto got one of these to try. Did data logging stock and with the B&M. While the cost was reasonable, he didn't like the on or off nature of this, sent it back and went with a full engine and trans tune. Much happier.

The nice thing about the total tuning solutions for the 2.4 like HPTuners, Vector or Wester's is that not only can there be real gains in the engine power and response tuning the ECM, but the trans TCM can also be tuned, and to your liking. And we also have Supporting Vendors that offer this, too.

I've tuned automatics to the customer's liking, usually where there is no difference in normal driving, but as the loud pedal gets pushed harder, the more aggressive it becomes, with shift points higher and firmer. Fully customizable.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:55 PM
Founding Member

He's got a 2.4
Originally Posted by ezeerider
I have the 2.4 litre
Old 11-29-2007, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by TX-HHR
I recently installed the shift plus on my 2.2 auto and it made a huge improvement to the way the transmission shifts. It is much shorter, faster shift and holds the transmission in gear longer in most cases. If you like the smooth stock shifts this is not a mod for you. It can be turned off if you only want to use it occasionally. I like it.
Isn't that what the I on the automatics do?? I don't see a reason to install a kit if the trans basically has one already. My brother install a shift improver from B&M in his 96 T-bird and it made that thing come alive when he drove it hard, and could still turn it off and not get whiplash from 2nd to third, so I do know those are great kits.
How would the kit differ from just shifting into I???
Old 11-29-2007, 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by courthousedeb
Just for the record, I know a little more about cars than your average female, and you cannot do a tune to a 2006 2.2L HHR, which is what the guy you are bashing has, so this is the only option available at this time to beef up a 2006. Since the post originator has a 2007, he can go either way...so let him try it...if he doesn't like it, he's only out $32.:

:twothumbs

Quick Reply: B&M Shift Plus