General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Back Pain

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 11:20 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by theWolfTamer
Just got back from going to see my Auntie about 150 miles away. I made sure I changed hands and had my head against the head rest. I had a little twinge when I got there yesterday after about 2 hours or so in the car. Today I put a pain patch on and arrived home with no pain (except where I had to take the pain patch off, it was stuck on pretty good!).

I guess I'm getting used to it.

Also had to use table cloths from the dollar store to protect the seats because my pup got car sick twice on the way down, not at all on the "seat" covers on the way home. I'm still looking at real seat covers though.
Cool, but you didn't use the back massager thingie on yer seat ?

Bummer about yer sick pup...Some love cruising & some don't.. Maybe this one will adjust to cruising..
Old 10-02-2011, 12:15 AM

I can't find the back massager thingie! I think I know where it is, but I need to do more than a superficial search for it.

He's still getting adjusted to traveling. The first time, on the same route, he puked three or four times. This time just two, once at the beginning at once at the end. Both times on roads that had good curves in them when I thought I was taking it easy.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:04 AM
Platinum Member

You find it, stash it in your ride... That's smaller than the house to re-locate it... LOL

Sounds like yer pup will adjust..

I had one that got to liking it so much, he seemed to enjoy whipping thru twisties as much as me !!
Old 10-02-2011, 03:59 PM

Woltamer,

I read what eery one had to say and agree with everything that was put out there for you. I would like to toss these two items out there for you to consider:

1. Adjust your seat so that your knees are higher than your hips when sitting behind the wheel. I see a lot of folks driving with the seat way back, the seat back reclined etc. Having your knees higher than the hips relieves the lower back and makes things more tolerable. It may be hard to get in/out with the seat adjusted like that, so just move it backward when getting in and out.

2. My pup had the same problem in the car and I solved it by not feeding him before a ride. I figured that out after having to clean up his barf from the map pockets too many times!

Good luck, I ride also and have chronic back pain. However, you can learn to work with it by sitting with correct posture. And by all means, keep that wallet out of the back pocket. My wife is short and uses a little booster cushion to help her sit higher. I purchased it at Wal-Mart in the auto section and it even has a small relief cutout for the tail bone. That may work for you as well.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:04 PM

You know sidecardog1, I am short. I was thinking this car ain't the best for us short folk. My seat has the thing where you pull it and the rear lifts, but not the front. I had that higher the last drive and that seemed to be okay. My back didn't start hurting as soon so I think I'm moving in the right direction. I wasn't craning my head so much to see over the front. I saw that booster cushion and was thinking that would be my next farkle.

It doesn't make sense to me that it raises the rear only and sometimes doesn't stay raised.

Fortunately it hasn't happened around town yet. My next long trip isn't going to be until next month and may not be in the car depending on weather.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:56 PM

Consider orienting the seat in any way that you wind up with your back supported and the pressure on the back of your legs minimized. You don't want the rear of the seat cushion tilted down which would put the front of the seat cushion up and putting pressure on the back of your legs. That's why moving the seat forward cause your knees to bend taking the pressure off the back of your legs. On long trips I use the cruise control which allows me to move my feet into a different position other than at the pedals. Also, some folks have good results with those beaded pads that go over the seat bottom and back.