General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Batman's HHR?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 11:11 PM
Platinum Member

I enjoy the 'haggle' of purchasing.. Drives my wifey nuts tho..
But to me, it's like a chess game.. While maintaining my poker playing face..
Old 01-29-2013, 01:22 PM

Everyone's car buying experience is different. When I bought my wifes back in 03, after a test drive and looking it over I made him an offer outside. When he said "come on in and we will discuss it". I said no, that's my offer and pulled my keys out of my pocket to leave. Funny, he accepted....LOL

When I bought the HHR, I did everything online. I send a request to the 3 dealerships in my area at the time for a Dayton Blue LT with a manual. 2 replied back stating none in the country. 1 replied back, found one in Miama (I was in SC). He told me the options it had and I gave him a offer. I told him I wanted the DBM, but there are other colors I was also interested in, but the manual was a must. I made him and offer online and withing 30 minutes got a replay back they accepted. They wanted me to come in and do the paperwork. I told them I can test drive a car that's in Miami so they needed to get it here (there) for me to look at it. Well, they had it with 3 days. No additional cost to me.

Bottom line, research what is out there, decide on what you are willing to pay (be reasonable) and let them decide to make a sale or not. But be willing to walk. 8 hours in a dealership deceiding? No way in hell. They knew within 30 minutes what they were willing to go.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:48 PM

That's all too much work. I hated the old days of buying cars back and forth crapola.

Alot of dealers around here have bottom line pricing, and I actually prefer going to them. I test drove my HHR, left to get the wife so she could put her stamp of approval on it. She had never looked at them before.

We were in and out of there in 1 1/2 hours, that was almost all paperwork.
Waiting for finance guy to get papers in order etc.

No trade kept it for my kids to drive.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:37 PM

I can see negotiating but 8hrs of my time on a Sunday before I retired was billable at over $1200. I always factor my time cost into any deal I'm doing or else I'm losing money.

Last 2 cars I bought, I walked in told them what I was willing to pay(researched cost ahead of time) and I had someplace to be in an hour so if they couldn't do the deal I was out and no need to play games. I was out both times in less then an hour and got the cars at a great price.

The dealers have bottom lines, bonuses, incentives and more so if you do your homework you can avoid all the BS and just bottom line them. They know how low they can go before you walk in the door.