General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Battery Drains When Being Towed

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 08:36 AM

Battery Drains When Being Towed

I have just started towing my 2008 HHR SS behind my motorhome. In order to tow with all four wheels on the ground I have to put the ignition key in the first position so the front wheels are unlocked and can turn and follow the motorhome. Since I have a manual transmission I was told that this was all I should have to do.

On short trips everything seemed to be fine, but when driving all day the last two days the HHR battery is completely dead and I have to jump start it when I unhook from the motorhome. As I see it, my choices are:

1) disconnect the battery every time I tow it--which will be a real pain since the hatch door won't open with the battery dead or disconnected.
2) jump start it after every tow--which will ruin the battery
3) hook up a hot wire to the tow vechicle (where to where?) to offset the drain on the HHR battery, or
4) find out which fuses I can pull when towing to avoid the battery drain.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Jim Nichols
Old 08-03-2010, 09:31 AM

Pull fuse #8 on the passenger side console.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:30 AM

Yes, you need to also pull fuse 8, which will kill power to the radio, the odometer and the SRS system. Also your umbilical should be wired to provide some low level charging from the motorhome to the HHR. We have towed ours for several years, with no problems.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:55 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Laco
Yes, you need to also pull fuse 8, which will kill power to the radio, the odometer and the SRS system. Also your umbilical should be wired to provide some low level charging from the motorhome to the HHR. We have towed ours for several years, with no problems.
might want to check ur harness..something doesnt sound right..should be feeding enough hyrdo to run signals and brake lights on the HHR as well as a mild charge..older model???
Old 08-03-2010, 07:41 PM

This morning I recommended pulling #8. But as soon as I sent it, I was sorry for not having said to just read the owners manual. I 6k on my SS's odometer, and about 12k being towed all over Mexico. Never had a problem, towing with a four flat cable operating only the tailights. No power going to vehicle at all. Demco bracket with custom inserts Roadmaster tow bar.
p.s. Mexico has some of the nicest high speed roads in North America. I've been in cruise at 125mph and have literally had my doors blown off my an array of vehicles. I never give chase. I'm thankful my wife doesnt mind my driving fast, but absolutely no fooling around.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by ckriensky
This morning I recommended pulling #8. But as soon as I sent it, I was sorry for not having said to just read the owners manual. I 6k on my SS's odometer, and about 12k being towed all over Mexico. Never had a problem, towing with a four flat cable operating only the tailights. No power going to vehicle at all. Demco bracket with custom inserts Roadmaster tow bar.
p.s. Mexico has some of the nicest high speed roads in North America. I've been in cruise at 125mph and have literally had my doors blown off my an array of vehicles. I never give chase. I'm thankful my wife doesnt mind my driving fast, but absolutely no fooling around.
x2 on Mexico highspeed roads. I was doing 90km/h in a 50 km/h and getting passed by buses....

To the OP- If you are doing long distance towing, I would recommend a tow dollie. The trans does not circulate fluid the same when it is being towed compared to when it is under power. Don't know how the HHR trans handles this, but a buddy that flat towed a Cavalier locked up a trans that way after about 5 years of towing.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by mongo
x2 on Mexico highspeed roads. I was doing 90km/h in a 50 km/h and getting passed by buses....

To the OP- If you are doing long distance towing, I would recommend a tow dollie. The trans does not circulate fluid the same when it is being towed compared to when it is under power. Don't know how the HHR trans handles this, but a buddy that flat towed a Cavalier locked up a trans that way after about 5 years of towing.
The HHR is approved by GM for flat towing. GM clearly does not recommend using a tow dolly. Check the owner's manual.
Been towing flat for many miles, but not my HHR just yet. I don't have the baseplates installed yet, so my Samurai will have to do.
Here's a prefab switch to disconnect fuse #8
http://www.rv-partsplus.com/home/accessories/

Old 08-03-2010, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by 87silver
The HHR is approved by GM for flat towing. GM clearly does not recommend using a tow dolly. Check the owner's manual.
Been towing flat for many miles, but not my HHR just yet. I don't have the baseplates installed yet, so my Samurai will have to do.
Here's a prefab switch to disconnect fuse #8
http://www.rv-partsplus.com/home/accessories/

Hot dang, learn something new every day.

I don't intend to tow my HHR, so I never read that part.

Oh, and Sammys and Sidekicks are perfect tow behind vehicles!
Old 08-04-2010, 05:51 AM

I somehow missed the whole fuse #8 part of the owner's manual. Will try it tomorrow. Thanks for all the replies and help.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:15 AM

I read on one of the threads or on another site that the auto trans has a secondary pump that provides needed lubrication during flat towing. Maybe ChevyMgr can verify.

Quick Reply: Battery Drains When Being Towed