General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

been a while

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 09:12 PM

Question been a while

So I'm finally getting back online after having to turn in my parrot and eyepatch a few months ago (inside joke).

I've been thinking about getting a panel, but just can't afford a newer one, so I had an idea: why not get a pair of passenger doors (from a donor) and weld in a couple panels replacing the cargo windows?

Any thoughts?
Old 10-11-2010, 09:30 PM

That would work...... if you are good at body work. If a donor isn't readably available you could start with the back panels and make a half panel (AA5) first then add the doors as they become available.

Whether it would be cheaper than selling what you have and buying a used panel would depend on a lot of things, and it would lower resale value as does any custom work (unless you just happen to find THE buyer....) but if those are not a concern, it's certainly do-able.

I've thought it would be cool to do a panel that had the old "sculpted" look that showed where the windows would be, but it was metal, like on the sedan delivery from the 40's.... That would really make it stand out in a crowd.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:54 PM

that WOULD be cool!
I suppose I should have stated that another reason for wanting to convert my "all window" HHR is that I want a panel WITH the rear seating, and I figure it'd be easier to convert mine, rather than get a panel and track down and install the rear seats
Old 10-12-2010, 01:17 AM
Platinum Member

Any thoughts ?

Yep, panels rule
Old 10-12-2010, 02:23 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by sleeper
Any thoughts ?

Yep, panels rule

DITTO!!
Old 10-12-2010, 03:01 AM
Banned

This is just my two cents, but take what Greybeard999 said, about the metal windows, that have the outline of the window, and put that in the front and back windows, and maybe disassemble the rear power windows, but not the power locks/door latches. Ya think?

Officer1151
Old 10-12-2010, 05:48 AM

I bought ...

The panel specificly because I love the look ...not that it matters a whole lot but one thing I love about the smooth unbroken plain of the rear quater and doors is that it lends to grapix really well ... was thinking though if you like custom cut a piece of diamond plate and replaced just the glass ...with a few other diamond (or any similar pattern material ) accents would carry the look and provide visual balance...it also might be cool to inset it even further and do external light effects in the resulting gap ...
Old 10-12-2010, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by Officer1151
........about the metal windows, that have the outline of the window, and put that in the front and back windows, and maybe disassemble the rear power windows, but not the power locks/door latches. Ya think?

Officer1151

Sort of what I was thinking........ But not just stick metal where the glass is now. It would have to be molded in to look right...... Certainly door glass and quarter glass would be replaced in the same manner.

The "sculpted" effect I'm seeing is like what is going on with this 46 Chevy....

Now I know I've also seen this done on a 4 door wagon and it would look great on an HHR...... Note the double molded lines around the panel, all in body color.... would look really sweet.

Last edited by Greybeard999; 10-12-2010 at 07:18 AM. Reason: Add photo and info.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Greybeard999
Sort of what I was thinking........ But not just stick metal where the glass is now. It would have to be molded in to look right...... Certainly door glass and quarter glass would be replaced in the same manner.

The "sculpted" effect I'm seeing is like what is going on with this 46 Chevy....

Now I know I've also seen this done on a 4 door wagon and it would look great on an HHR...... Note the double molded lines around the panel, all in body color.... would look really sweet.
that WOULD look cool on an HHR...............too bad i don't have that kind of talent!
Old 10-12-2010, 11:22 PM
Rest In Peace

IF, you traded yours in on a Panel, the rear seat install is Real Easily done.

Graybeards idea is a Great one, I agree. But you either need to know body & fender and auto painting and welding to do it Nicely. Or you need a fair amount of money to Pay someone to do it for you, plus Interior work.

I did the rear seat Mod/Swap in my Panel, Nothing to it, NO Custom fab work needed, all the holes are already there, even the side rear interior panels just have plugs covering the areas that the seat belts would go through.

I just bought a pair of widowed rear door interior panels for my install so it will have the inside arm rest, door pulls, (rear seat passenger can close the door) and the door pockets for some storage. In Ebony to match my interior.

I am just waiting on them to arrive.

Even these will require some Custom Fabrication Work, since the Panels interior panels go all the way up covering were a window would have been.

The rear seat Mod can be done without swapping the interior door panels, but I want the person in back to be able to close the door themselves and not many if anyone has swapped them out with their rear seat install.

I did body & fender work full time for about 12 years and Custom work can turn into a nightmare if you arent experienced and even then you can pull your hair out at times. lol

We would get some guys that started a Mod and realize they were in way over their head and want us to then Fix what they had tried starting.

Thinking they were Saving money doing it themselves, then having to pay Twice as much to Fix what they had started, saving themselves Nothing.