General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Bent wheel this afternoon

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 09:24 PM

Bent wheel this afternoon

hit a pot hole this afternoon HARD!!...sure enough, bent the left front wheel on my 2010 2LT HHR...made me mad, to say the least!!...no other damage is evident, although I have not had a chance to look underneath the car real close yet...does seem like there might be a very minor vibration at highway speeds but might be my imagination.
Anybody on here had experience or luck with straightening out a bent steel/chrome wheel like the ones that came on the 09' and 10' 2LT's??
Any input would be appreciated.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:29 PM
Platinum Member

Bummer- I believe those rims after '08 are 'Chrome-Clad'

I would say tapping out the steel rim should not be a problem, but avoiding hitting the clad cover (that doesn't come off) may be the hardest part.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:50 PM

Are those "chrome clad" wheels steel? I thought they were alloy also, just clad and not polished like the '07s. If alloy, forget straightening it.... if steel it's do-able.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:59 PM

Might want to check...but I thought someone said you can make the city/township or wherever you were pay for it if it's a severe enough pothole. Might depend on where you are...
Old 03-05-2011, 11:03 PM
Rest In Peace

Like crazy car kid says.

Go take a pic of the pothole, then go to the village hall and ask who to complain to.

2 years ago I took the wifes Chevy Venture out at 5AM for my morning coffee run and on the way back turned the corner at the light (was green for me) and as I rounded the turn I hear and felt BANG BANG, BANG BANG!

The city (township) had left a manhole cover Off and it was sitting on the grass parkway.

They never admitted their crews were working in that area but said to get a bodyshop estimate to fix the damages. A Wheel and the rocker panel were trashed.

I got an estimate at the bodyshop of my choice, and they paid the bill without a problem.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:09 PM
Deceased

To echo the others, go back and document the pothole, report it to the city, and then call your insurance agent. From what I've read, the chrome clad wheels are not repairable unless its a very minor bend. You may want to jack your HHR up in the morning and check for play in that corner, also damage underneath, but please don't get under it while supported only on a jack...its a good way to get injured or worse.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:20 PM
Rest In Peace

I say report it to the Village FIRST, DO NOT contact your insurance, UNLESS they refuse to fix it.

Even reporting an incident that was not your fault even if you don't actually make a claim, Can raise your rates. Not all insuance companies, but alot will do this. I have Allstate and would rather Not find out if they would raise my rate for such an incident.

And by all means, USE jack stands if your gonna jack the car up to look under it. No excuses not to use them.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:38 PM
Platinum Member

front end may need re-alignment, food for thought..
Old 03-06-2011, 09:17 AM

I did the same thing last night with the GTP.

I bent a 17" Chrome case wheel on the lip a little. I was able to pound it out to get it pretty much straight but the chome did crinkle a little.

I plan just to buy a used OE wheel to replace it.

Most of us have deductable under what a used wheel will cost so insurance is out. In some cities you may get a claim but most times few will pay out.

Repairing the wheel is possible but too often it would cost more than a used replacment wheel.

It would not hurt to check out the car more. Odds are unless you really have some worn parts you should be ok. It is hard to bend a A arm and as long as the lower ball joint and tie rod are tight you should be ok.

Alignment could get a little wacked. I is just one of those thing you can't tell till is is on the rack.

At least I got off easy about a 1/2 mile after the hole there were 3 other cars pulled over with flats. Pays to keep goo pressure and to buy more then the cheapest tires. Too often the cheap ones will spit a side wall.

With the winter we all have had and the money shortages with many local goverments we should expect a lot more of this kind of roads this spring in many areas.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:22 AM
Premium Member

Didn't some one have one wheel left the other day I remember thinking who would buy one wheel guess I have my answer I'll go back and look for it might be an easy fix if its the right one.

Quick Reply: Bent wheel this afternoon