General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Best place to tap an ignition wire?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2020, 06:04 PM
Premium Member

Best place to tap an ignition wire?

I have a switch next to the shifter on a custom switch panel i made, wire is ran near the gas pedal and up into the main wire grommet to the fuse box under the hood.

I need to tap into an ignition wire so this device stays on whenever the car is on. It's already on a relay.

I have the directtechs print out but it only lists the steering column and I prefer not to touch that.
Old 12-21-2020, 06:59 PM
Platinum Member

Since you don't say what the switch is for or how much amperage it needs, then it's hard to recommend where/what to tap into.

Me. I prefer to tap accessories into their own slot. Check one of the fuse locations marked "empty" and see if they have power on the incoming side. If so you could use one of those.
Disclaimer: One of those empty slots shouldn't be used.(can't remember which one) It will disable the rear hatch opener if a fuse is put in that slot.
Anyone remember which 1 that is ?
Old 12-21-2020, 07:02 PM
Premium Member

Its on a relay so any 12v will work.

I tapped the pink wire on interior passenger fuse box.
Old 12-21-2020, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Since you don't say what the switch is for or how much amperage it needs, then it's hard to recommend where/what to tap into.

Me. I prefer to tap accessories into their own slot. Check one of the fuse locations marked "empty" and see if they have power on the incoming side. If so you could use one of those.
Disclaimer: One of those empty slots shouldn't be used.(can't remember which one) It will disable the rear hatch opener if a fuse is put in that slot.
Anyone remember which 1 that is ?
Fuse #11, underhood.
Old 12-21-2020, 10:06 PM

Any of the "spare" fuse position on the BCM are switched and on the RAP relay. The last thing in the world you want to do is tap into the IGN.

This is the 21st century, learn to live with it.
Old 12-22-2020, 07:28 AM
Premium Member

Why would you 'tap' into a wire when you can go directly to the fuse box and have a dedicated curcuit?
Modern cars don't like their signals disrupted are altered.
Especially HHR's, since that is what we know.
Old 12-22-2020, 09:19 AM

Connect in the fuse panel inside the car

Can't agree more a dedicated circuit is the way to go. Why did you go under hood?
I'd expect you can find the power source (switched or unswitched in the interior fuse panel.
Or you could run a wire all the way back to the battery area.
Old 12-22-2020, 11:34 AM

This is the ignition source I used on my 06. Passenger side of the console. It is a hot ignition on slot.

Last edited by solman98; 12-22-2020 at 12:44 PM.
Old 12-22-2020, 11:49 AM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by WoodysMobile
Can't agree more a dedicated circuit is the way to go. Why did you go under hood?
I'd expect you can find the power source (switched or unswitched in the interior fuse panel.
Or you could run a wire all the way back to the battery area.
The device I'm powering is in the engine/bumper area. The switch to control the relay was next to the shifter. This was mentioned for wire length reasons and was why I wanted to find something near the kick or interior fuse panel.

It's on a relay so I don't believe it's going to draw much power from any lines. I used the pink wire in the passenger interior fuse box. Seems to work perfectly.

Is there a diagram of empty slots that can be used as ignition switches?

I don't see the point of running a wire to the battery. I already have ran 2 16awg power and ground wires from the battery up to the shifter area for switches and volt meter.
Old 12-22-2020, 11:57 AM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Lonwane
Why would you 'tap' into a wire when you can go directly to the fuse box and have a dedicated curcuit?
Modern cars don't like their signals disrupted are altered.
Especially HHR's, since that is what we know.
cause I'm old school I guess.

So I should find an empty fuse and test it for ignition instead, then add a fuse tap to it?

it's only a relay turn on wire. I can't imagine it putting any significant strain on anything.

Under hood fuse box would be much easier to work with since my relay is right next to it, and I've tapped off the red plastic cover 12v+ bolt next to it for a few in line fuse holders for the relays. Only reason the wire was in the car was for a lighted switch but that's obsolete now.

Quick Reply: Best place to tap an ignition wire?