General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Best place to tap an ignition wire?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2020, 12:00 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by donbrew
Any of the "spare" fuse position on the BCM are switched and on the RAP relay. The last thing in the world you want to do is tap into the IGN.

This is the 21st century, learn to live with it.
alright so I should definitely use a fuse tap for the relay turn-on instead of tapping into an ignition wire? I don't know anything about the bcm or computer stuff.
Old 12-22-2020, 12:04 PM
Premium Member

Oh and It's for cheap fog lights I put in and want on every time the car is running.

Facebook was only interested in informing me of the legality of this, which I don't care about. So I wanted to avoid the lecture by keeping the intended use a mystery.

thank you all for the suggestions. I will check under the hood fuse box for an empty ignition switched spot since that is where my relays are mounted. I guess I could also use a fuse tap on an existing fuse? It's only for a relay turn on for the fog lights.
Old 12-22-2020, 03:09 PM

So you are just going to ignore the first sentence? Or, do you mean that you are unaware of the second fuse box?

If for some reason you mounted relays under the hood and you have a switch on the console you must have one of the control wires within a foot of the BCM.

You could just use the already installed fog light relay (#54) and fuse (#53). Depending on the day your car was built the wires may be already installed.

This is the factory wiring schematic, I know some of the wires are already there.

Old 12-22-2020, 03:15 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by donbrew
So you are just going to ignore the first sentence? Or, do you mean that you are unaware of the second fuse box?

If for some reason you mounted relays under the hood and you have a switch on the console you must have one of the control wires within a foot of the BCM.

You could just use the already installed fog light relay (#54) and fuse (#53). Depending on the day your car was built the wires may be already installed.

This is the factory wiring schematic, I know some of the wires are already there.

what was the first sentence? Don't know what bcm or rap is.

I have the plug for the fogs but not a button next to the traction button. Planned to put a push button for air horn there.

I want the fogs on whenever the car is on, not switched. Only switch I would want would be to turn them off for some reason. But mostly always on with the car.

I know of the main fuse box under the hood and the one on passenger side center area.

I don't know what that schematic means at all.

I already have it hooked up so relay turn on is on the pink wire inside passenger fuse box.
Old 12-22-2020, 03:23 PM

I hope you don't burn your car down.
Old 12-22-2020, 03:38 PM
Premium Member

Yes I'm sure adding a relay turn-on wire to an ignition wire is going to have unforseen consequences.
Old 12-22-2020, 05:11 PM
Platinum Member

If you want to hook up the fogs lights so they're "on whenever the car is on", then I don't think we can help you with this.
Having the fogs on all the time would mean they're on when you use the high beams. This would be wrong to do and may even be illegal in your state.

I'm out on this.
Old 12-22-2020, 05:19 PM
Premium Member

I never use the high beams. But I do switch on the 22" light bar when needed.

precisely the reason I didn't want to say what it was. Not that anyone cares about the fogs being on with the high beams.

I've already figured it out with the pink wire so thanks
Old 12-22-2020, 07:09 PM
Administrator

If they are working, awesome, test your work, check it again in a week or so. Keep it clean and drive it often.

For the record,,

BCM is the body control module, a computer that controls pretty much everything, from the lights to the turn signals to the radio power

RAP is retained accessories power, if you sit in your HHR and don’t open the doors, you can open the window, listen to the radio, that sort of thing for 10 minutes or if you open the door after you turn the key to off
Old 12-23-2020, 12:36 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Oldblue
If they are working, awesome, test your work, check it again in a week or so. Keep it clean and drive it often.

For the record,,

BCM is the body control module, a computer that controls pretty much everything, from the lights to the turn signals to the radio power

RAP is retained accessories power, if you sit in your HHR and don’t open the doors, you can open the window, listen to the radio, that sort of thing for 10 minutes or if you open the door after you turn the key to off
Thanks for the info, blue!

Quick Reply: Best place to tap an ignition wire?