General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Biased HHR reviews

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
PT Cruiser recently joined the "worst car" club on Yahoo. They cite it's ugly styling and under powered power plant.
I always chuckle at these "worst car" lists. For 10 years, my wife has been driving a 2001 Pontiac Aztek, which is almost always in the top three of those lists. People make fun of its horrendous styling, etc. But it really is a great car. Of course, she maintains it religiously and even washes it 2 or 3 times a year. She has the optional tent, and goes camping in it often.

Cheers
Old 12-23-2015, 09:20 PM

I have always liked the Pontiac Aztec neat cars.
Old 12-24-2015, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by Ron S
Most of the automotive press is jaded. I member years ago that a magazine was reviewing a Lotus Europa and they had to bend the brake and clutch peddles apart but that was OK. I thought that if they had to do that to an American car they would crucify them.
Yeah! I almost killed myself when my size 10 foot covered BOTH the gas pedal AND brake pedal, when i needed the BRAKES
Old 12-24-2015, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by bugo
2011 Chevrolet HHR Reviews, Pictures and Prices | U.S. News Best Cars

I stumbled across this review on the internet. It contains some questionable claims:

"Automotive writers said the plastic interior in the Chevrolet HHR looks cheap"

-The interior looks just fine to me. I have the black dash and dark grey interior and it looks and feels like quality to me.

"However, tall passengers may not have enough head- or legroom in both of the rows."

-What? I'm 6'4" and I have PLENTY of headroom. I could easily wear a hat in my HHR. I wouldn't mind having a sunroof because there would still be lots of headroom.

I don't know if this is an anti-GM/American bias or not, but these reviews lose credibility when they print false statements.
I bought my HHR BECAUSE of the headroom and legroom. I am 6ft tall
and I thought the trim was simple and 2 toned nicely
Old 12-24-2015, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by kittman
I always chuckle at these "worst car" lists.
Those lists are jokes. Almost all of them include the Edsel which was an excellent car. They usually contain the AMC Pacer which was a decent car for the time. They often list the Ford Pinto which was a good reliable car other than the gas tank/rear axle flaw (a flaw that Pinto wagons din't even have) which was easily and inexpensively fixed but they do usually mention the Vega which deserves the scorn. Chevrolet didn't even want to build the Vega. Chevy designed their own subcompact but GM forced the division to build the corporate GM-designed Vega which was a poor design. Had they used better rustproofing and the excellent Chevrolet 194 4 cylinder engine which was derived from their legendary six cylinder the Vega might have been remembered differently. From all accounts it was a terrific handler and didn't look half bad.
Old 12-25-2015, 09:19 AM

I avoid zines like Car & Driver as they do get negative on USA cars and brag about how good the foreign cars are. Those jelly beans they like can only carry 4 bodies and one bag of groceries. We can take our trash to the dump, carry bags of sand, carry my band equipment, squeeze a new recliner into the back, can sleep back there if necessary, and it looks different than anything else out there.
Old 12-25-2015, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Blue_SS
This is true. However, I am 5'10" and short-legged, and have worn a helmet in mine without clearance issues.

Depends on how you adjust your front drivers power seat height and how long your legs are for comfort.

Nothing to do with the Sun roof but depending on your body profile there can be an issue hitting your head when entering from either side on the roof opening depending on how you get in and out.

Also the Rear Hatch can be a height issue if you are over 6ft tall and forget to duck your head. More if you lower the rear an 1" or so.

I am 6ft. tall but have made mental and physical, and mechanical adjustments so that those issues no longer bother me.

Silverfox
Old 12-25-2015, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
PT Cruiser recently joined the "worst car" club on Yahoo. They cite it's ugly styling and under powered power plant.
I've got a PT Cruiser and a 2008 HHR Panel with a 2.4...I'm 6' 3" and 200 lbs.

As far as I'm concerned both are equally under-powered, although I get almost 10MPG better with the HHR. About equal head room in both, and both have sunroofs...although I think the HHR might be a bit tighter.

As far as styling, that's a matter of personal preference, I rather like the looks of the Cruisers...in fact I still remember the first one I ever saw...
Old 12-25-2015, 11:07 AM

HHR panels are the coolest looking. 175 horses from a 2.4 liter is not too shabby.
Old 12-26-2015, 05:26 AM

The biggest flaw of the HHR is the small size of the windshield. It is way too short, so while sitting at lights I have to contort my whole upper body so I can see the lights. The huge mirror doesn't help things. The wide D pillar doesn't help visibility either, but for the most part it is an easy vehicle to see out of other than the short windshield.

Quick Reply: Biased HHR reviews