General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Big Ouch!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 05:31 PM

Big Ouch!!!!!!

Got T-Boned this morning on way to work. (See pictures in Gallery) Girl ran stop sign in pickup. I was running 65MPH and she about 45MPH. Good testimonial to crash worthiness of HHR. Everyone at insurance office was impressed. Body may be tweaked, as I ran into embankment in background (hard). All the damage to the pickup was result of hitting HHR, not the embankment. It coasted into it.
Medical report: Me, severe whiplash. Tough on an old man.
She, admitted to hospital with moderate head and facial injuries.
If it is totaled, I'll get another.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:00 PM

Two things going for you........you were in an HHR and you were hit by another Chevy. Seriously, the HHR did it's job and you are online telling us about your accident because of good construction.

I hope the both of you feel well soon.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:20 PM

Good to see that you are more or less alright. I was in a similar accident 3 months ago in my HHR. There is a thread around somewhere with pictures of my wrecked HHR. Mine was at a much lower speed and the impact was concentrated right at the edge between the front and rear door.

I just picked up my HHR last week from the body shop. It took 2 months to repair. I haven't seen the papers from the body shop yet and I haven't seen a settlement letter from the insurance company yet but I was told the repairs were in the neighbourhood of $10,000 with an additional $2,000 or so in car rental charges.

These are Canadian prices and repairs cost a lot more up here and take a lot longer.

Good luck and hopefully no pain arises in the next few weeks.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:30 PM

Supposed to have estimate tomorrow. As of now, driver of pickup has not provided proof of insurance (no surprise). If it takes that long to repair mine, MY rental car coverage will run out before completion. Are you satisfied with the car after repairs that extensive?
Old 10-16-2008, 06:40 PM

Glad you are A-OK!! (at least physically!! ),,
Old 10-16-2008, 07:14 PM

My car seems to be fine after the repairs. Drives the same as it always has and the doors actually close a lot more solid. I haven't been able to notice anything that would indicate that the car has been wrecked and repaired. I'm pretty anal and gave it a very good look over.

I'm sure your repair will be quicker and less expensive than mine. Mine sat for at least half a month before they even really looked at it. Body shops up here are very busy and have pretty long wait lists.

I know my insurance would cover a rental up to $5000 and because it was a not at fault accident I'm sure the other parties insurance is covering the entire cost. I know my rental was being billed at $35 a day for about 60 days ($2100). I also traded my standard (Malibu) for a 4x4 pick-up for about 2 weeks and then had an Impala for about 2 and half weeks. I'm sure the rental company billed extra for that.

I would be really interested to find out how your repair bill compares to mine if the work is done and the vehicle is not junked.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:26 PM

Happy to see you came out of the accident without a serious injury. Hate to see your HHR take such a beating but it sure shows how tough they are in crashes. Hope your whiplash feels better soon.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:31 PM

Hate to see that on any car, but nice to know our little car can take a beating like that.

Last edited by an08HHR; 10-17-2008 at 07:17 AM. Reason: sp
Old 10-16-2008, 09:59 PM

thank god your alright man
makes me feel that much safer n the hhr
hope you get it all workd out and you feel better
Old 10-16-2008, 10:30 PM

Glad your Ok. I like my HHR alittle more after seeing that.

Best of luck on the Repair/New HHR.

Quick Reply: Big Ouch!!!!!!