General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Big Ouch!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 11:14 PM

So glad you are okay...

Say....If you DO end up getting another HHR, and you don't mind my opinion,
make sure to get one with side air bags. I believe that all of the 2009's may have this as stock. On my 2008 it was an option.

Your pics really brought this to mind......

Cajun
Old 10-16-2008, 11:28 PM
Banned

That girl is real lucky to be alive herself. Those old Chevy trucks aren't exactly the safest vehicle to get in a wreck with. If she really t-boned you going 45 MPH, that safety cage on the HHR must be pretty stout and those doors did a great job reacting to the impact energy.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:54 AM

Weird . . the old PU is beat to kingdom come . . . the HHR is a mess, but the PU looks far worse. . .

BTW, glad you're OK, the HHR can easily be replaced . . . not you . . .
Old 10-17-2008, 09:00 AM
jx3

Happy to hear that noone was seriously hurt.

Let's hear it for the HHR..........

Old 10-17-2008, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Cajun
Say....If you DO end up getting another HHR, and you don't mind my opinion, make sure to get one with side air bags. I believe that all of the 2009's may have this as stock. On my 2008 it was an option.

Your pics really brought this to mind......

Cajun
When I purchased my HHR side impact airbags were one of the options I wanted. I purchased one that was in transport to the dealer instead of ordering and waiting and that one did not have side impact air bags. I figured I wouldn't need them anyways so might as well just get it.

I'm actually glad that mine did not have side impact airbags when I was hit. I've been told by a couple of people that they can actually do more harm than good. My mom rolled a new full size conversion van (Ford model) last Christmas and the first responders mentioned that she was very lucky that the side impacts and front airbags did not deploy because they likely would have hurt her. One other person I know was in a side impact collision where the side impact airbags deployed and they caused burns and some pretty serious bruising to the side of hos torso.

Here are the images from my collision. The HHR holds up really well and is pretty solid.

Old 10-17-2008, 07:08 PM

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and concerns. Feeling better physically, still sore and stiff neck. Got estimate today just under
$10k !!!!!!!!!!! Not feeling any better mentally. Now the fight begins as to total or not. By the way, I discovered a fast method of removing all those snap-in interior panels. Not recommended though.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:35 PM

Glad your ok.

After eating one airbag I am not sure I would want to have side bag.

Myt wheel bag went off in a low speed impact and it burned me and cut me up pretty good.

IF the bag had not gone off I would have not gotten a scratch.

I think I would rather see more improvments on belts and take my chace with out the air bag.

FYI: check out on Youtube some guy names Farmer Dave. He has set off airbags in Freezers. Microwaves and Stoves. The Saturn bags do not do much damage but the Ford blew up the freezer and stove. The door of the freezer went about 100 yards.
Old 10-19-2008, 11:12 PM
Banned

Airbags are designed to reduce the kinetic energy applied to the body and spread it out over a large area. Sure, you'll get a burn, some bruises, and a superficial scratch or two, but it beats a fractured skull or collapsed lung.

The new airbags that reduce power based on seat belt usage and weight restrictions are much better than the old Nader air bags. Ralph Nader insisted on the government forcing the auto manufacturers to make the original systems protect an unbelted occupant the same as a belted occupant. Several children and smaller people were decapitated as a result, but Nader couldn't sue 'em because he had caused the problem!
Old 10-20-2008, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by hhrcrafty
Airbags are designed to reduce the kinetic energy applied to the body and spread it out over a large area. Sure, you'll get a burn, some bruises, and a superficial scratch or two, but it beats a fractured skull or collapsed lung.

The new airbags that reduce power based on seat belt usage and weight restrictions are much better than the old Nader air bags. Ralph Nader insisted on the government forcing the auto manufacturers to make the original systems protect an unbelted occupant the same as a belted occupant. Several children and smaller people were decapitated as a result, but Nader couldn't sue 'em because he had caused the problem!
After walking away from several crashes. I fully understand how airbags work and protect.

We all would be even more safe in helmets and Nomex but you have to draw the line somewhere.

Ralph never goes after things like poor drivers or DUI drivers with 15 DUI charges. He is all abouyt hitting the corperations but no the end user and their own action like DUI and Cell Phone use. .

Also they should have done something with Ralph a long time ago.

By the way they were not just superficial scratchs. They were deep cuts.

I guess when you on the recieving end of an air bag it gives you a different outlook.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by hhrcrafty

After walking away from several crashes. I fully understand how airbags work and protect.

We all would be even more safe in helmets and Nomex but you have to draw the line somewhere.

Ralph never goes after things like poor drivers or DUI drivers with 15 DUI charges. He is all abouyt hitting the corperations but no the end user and their own action like DUI and Cell Phone use. .

Also they should have done something with Ralph a long time ago.

By the way they were not just superficial scratchs. They were deep cuts.

I guess when you on the recieving end of an air bag it gives you a different outlook. There are times they help but how often do they do more damage in minor crashes?

Quick Reply: Big Ouch!!!!!!