General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Bike Rack?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by chevyorange
Thanks, do you think there is any way you'd get two adults and two children's bikes on there? :)
I would say at most you could probably fit 3 bikes on there if you put one of the racks facing backwards and two forward. I don't think there's enough room for 4 bike racks, but if someone could try and tell us what is the max number of racks that fit on there :)
Old 04-10-2009, 01:31 PM

I just might be that guy..hahaha... I'll let you know!
Old 04-10-2009, 09:28 PM

I dont think you can put four on a roof rack. It probably wont be wide enough and would exceed the weight limit.
I have seen four on a hitch mount though.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by traketo
I would say at most you could probably fit 3 bikes on there if you put one of the racks facing backwards and two forward. I don't think there's enough room for 4 bike racks, but if someone could try and tell us what is the max number of racks that fit on there :)
Could you get me the part numbers you used so I could order a rack like that? I had a hitch rack. I don't like how they move around, and wobble. I had a hatch rack too. I didn't like what it did to my Sebring convertible
Old 04-12-2009, 10:04 PM

yeah strap on racks will almost always dent your car. even if they say they won't. they will.

the hitch mount wobbled for a reason. it wobbles so that it is not your bike doing the wobbling. If you are hitting some bumps and your bikes are attached firmly to your hitch it has 2 options. Either your kitch can wobble a bit while still keeping a firm grip on your bike, or your htch can stay nice and firm and then your bikes can try to wobbled against the force and possibly end up damaging the bike.

Me, i don't mind if it wobbles on the hitch a bit, doesn't hurt anything. Plus if you do have some wobble and want to get tighten it up (not get ride of it, bur lessen it) find out where it is wobbling, most likely where it creates the L to go up to the rack, wrap some duct tape in there (black to be incognito) and fill the gap.

I don't think the flat bed ones wobble much at all and often will contain an anti wobble something or other, but don't know how legite that is. If you want higher quality (and since an entire roofrack system will cost a lot anyways) go with a saris thelma or something similar.

the roof just seems like a PITA. I am 6'2" and I don't even want to be lifting my bikes on to the roof. Sounds like a nice accidental dent in the roof after long ride.

just my thoughts
Old 04-12-2009, 10:10 PM

twistman,

I agree with the thought of putting stuff on the roof.. but I have a roof rack and figure it might as well serve a purpose. But if I can fit all four of my bikes up there I'm gonna pass on that.

I'm also hating the thought of putting hitch on the HHR only for a bike rack. But it appears that it is the route I'll have to take. I'll try to find as stealthy a rack as possible.

I am just getting into biking - suffered a major injury in 1999 - its a big leap for me back into life!

Looks like if I fold the seats down, I could probably fit two bikes through the hatch... MAYBE.....
Old 04-12-2009, 11:08 PM

i have tried to get both of our bikes in the back of mine and i failed. Other have been able to do that but my bike has a very large frame and then my wife's is small, but it doesn't balance it out. Don't really wan to take them apart to the extent that i would have to to fit good, and then lets say i go camping, no i have no where for gear.

my hitch will be for bikes only, so i know where you are coming from. probably going to get the curt, and i have an idea on how to hide it a bit, so we will have to see if i can make it happen. just gotta get the money to order the hitch and make it up to my parents to install it.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:11 PM

Since you're gonna get it done before me I can't wait to see what you come up with. :)

I guess there's no getting around it, I'll have to get a hitch.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:57 AM

If you only need 3 bikes, it is quite possible. I can fit 3 bikes and 3 passengers.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:30 AM

prod, i remember seeing this picture and being pretty hopeful. With my mountain bike i may be able to do it but my hybrid won't fit like that even with removing the seat and my front fork to handlebar distance wouldn't cut it either.

However i have a sunroof so i loose some roof space and i see part of your secret now is removing the back cover to drop the wheels down a bit.

Quick Reply: Bike Rack?