General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Black smoke on start up.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Tyler Harvey
No, I haven't done any modification to the engine. I am the second owner of the car. Thanks guys for your help and especially Hillsdale HHR. I agree with what you are saying. I am new to having a turbo engine. It has a clicking sound, the alternator is louder than my old 2.2L. Sometimes I think I'm just hearing things.

Do you're Turbo engines make a rattle sound for a second or so after you have started it?

The clicking is the fuel injectors. The fuel pressure is in the thousands of pound on a DI engine vs the old port injectors that may be 16 Pounds. They make noise as they have to slam shut.

The intake on the SS makes a lot of odd noised upon start up outside. Once it warms up the intake changes and it quiets down. Also after shut off there is a clunk that is normal.

The Turbo on the SS and the wastegate are fairly quiet on this car. most of the noise is the Direct Injection system for the fuel. It is a new thing that will be on all cars soon. Now you know why cars like Buick and Cadillas are doing so much quiet tuning. Look for more Chevys to do the same as more get DI.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:33 AM

you really want to hear noise....on a cold eng remove the air filter cover and fire her up....
its like a herd of Hoovers working under the hood!
Old 04-13-2011, 08:25 AM
Banned

also how many miles on the car and have u swapped ur plugs ever?
Old 04-13-2011, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Tyler Harvey
No, I haven't done any modification to the engine. I am the second owner of the car. Thanks guys for your help and especially Hillsdale HHR. I agree with what you are saying. I am new to having a turbo engine. It has a clicking sound, the alternator is louder than my old 2.2L. Sometimes I think I'm just hearing things.

Do you're Turbo engines make a rattle sound for a second or so after you have started it?

The rattle you're hearing could be the electric vacuum pump (if you have an automatic, of course) running. This pump runs for 1 or 2 seconds, and once the vacuum pressure has built up, the pump shuts off.