General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Blizzaks get their first real test

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 06:00 AM

Blizzaks get their first real test

Well yesterday morning in Chicago-land we received a bunch of rain with temps in the mid-upper 30's. Through the day it started to cool off and switched over to snow as the rain puddles froze over. Really messy commute home but I had my new Blizzaks on and I have to say I felt invincible. I had to keep reminding myself that they don't work magic and I wasn't in a 4WD vehicle.

Sure footed, clean starts with no slipping, reliable braking (anti-locks helped as well). I was thoroughly impressed with the handling of the SS in the first snow/ice storm and I think the majority of that is the winter tires.

I was so giddy I took a couple of pics while I was out.

Name:  IMG_0065.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  42.6 KB
Name:  IMG_0066.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  37.8 KB
Old 12-10-2008, 06:15 AM

So I guess you'll be sending that weather our way soon.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:46 AM

wowzers.. thatd be interestin to live up there
Old 12-10-2008, 07:30 AM

we didn't get any of that here, just a ton of rain, and i'm only 2 hours SE of Chicago.

I just need the weather to be nice early next week in Boston. Going for business, and when i went the exact same time we got stuck in a blizzard and it basically shut the city down.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:48 AM

Glad to hear of your driving experience. Anyone with snows on are going to be alot happier than not having them. Yesterday was a mess here too and this morning, it turned to ice. I'm happy that I went with the snows too.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:12 AM

Glad to hear, i might invest in some Winter Shoe's next year. Just didn't have the time nor the Cash for some. Glad u made it home Yesterday.

We got about 5 inches in Mchenry county. Lovely Winter in Chicago. I hate it or i need to invest in a plow truck!!!
Old 12-10-2008, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by a76marine
Well yesterday morning in Chicago-land we received a bunch of rain with temps in the mid-upper 30's. Through the day it started to cool off and switched over to snow as the rain puddles froze over. Really messy commute home but I had my new Blizzaks on and I have to say I felt invincible. I had to keep reminding myself that they don't work magic and I wasn't in a 4WD vehicle.

Sure footed, clean starts with no slipping, reliable braking (anti-locks helped as well). I was thoroughly impressed with the handling of the SS in the first snow/ice storm and I think the majority of that is the winter tires.

I was so giddy I took a couple of pics while I was out.

Your going to find it was not the winter tires as much as the HHR SS.

My All Season Goodyears go through the Snow and Ice like a tank. The electronic aids and weight of the HHR make for a good snow package with any good tire not just winter. My GP is just the same.

I have yet to put a tire wrong in several weeks of bad roads here.

My only fear is deep snow as I worry about the paint on the front air dam if I push it. I already have pushed some already but there was no hard ice or stones in it.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:39 AM

My only fear is deep snow as I worry about the paint on the front air dam if I push it. I already have pushed some already but there was no hard ice or stones in it.
Or the hidden parking block.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Ratracer
Or the hidden parking block.
Curb, Frozen Dead Possum or even a deep pot hole in the road here in the spring. I have seen Honda's lost in those.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
Curb, Frozen Dead Possum or even a deep pot hole in the road here in the spring. I have seen Honda's lost in those.
A little farther North and we use Hondas for cold patch.

Quick Reply: Blizzaks get their first real test