General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Blue Dot lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 10:00 PM

Question Blue Dot lights

I know that Blue dot lights attract Law Enforcement, Not worried about a retired one, Just bought our first HHR, was wondering about installation. I have proper hole saws for wood but cutting plastic, I am not sure of so could use some help. I bought a set which let's you exchange red for blue on non event days, guess you have to take the light apart to do that. Any help much appreciated
Old 02-12-2007, 10:02 PM

Name:  bf54f4bf.gif
Views: 29
Size:  2.3 KB to the site! Someone here will answer your question.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:06 PM

I know there is a few threads on it. type "blue dots" into the search box and see what comes up. But then again by the time you do that, someone may have found it for ya!

Welcome to the site!!
Old 02-12-2007, 10:40 PM
jx3

Originally Posted by Dools103
I Any help much appreciated
Here's a how to for blue dot install.............

Originally Posted by moose-e-man
Lets start with the removal of the tail light assy from the car. Just forward of either taillight assy. inside of the car is a long slinder panel. That pops out with a common screw driver. That will allow you access to the light assy. You must remove the "black insullation and body deadner foam. It will not go back as easy as it comes out. That will allow you to gain access to the 3 nuts holding the light assy on the car. Those if i remember are a #"10 metric". Be careful not to drop those little nuts. They will go all the way down to the ground !!! At least you think they did. You may want to remove the light plug wire and bulb from the socket at this time by rotating 90 Degrees. I chose to leave mine on, on the right hand side. Then the lens and light housing come out as a single piece.
If you are going to drill the lens with a drill bit and do it in stages, be sure to "DULL" the edges of the drill flutes. As well as the center of the bit. This will not allow you to crack the plastic when drilling. Do not push hard, let the drill bit do the work for you. I drilled my out to a 1/4 " hole the used a high speed dye grinder and router bit. Brought it out to size. I believe it was 15/16. Be sure to "de-bir" the hole before installing the Blue Dots.
installed the metal retainer, bent over the tabs and sealed the edges. Installed in the reverse order. Hope this helps. I too was a little intimidated, It's not that hard.
If you have any specific questions, PM one of these guys that have them installed.........

moose-e-man

Navyflyer

scaleguy

I'm sure there are others with them.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:47 PM

A trick to drill in plastic or in painted metal like a fender is to use a sharp bit and spin it in reverse. It will "scrape" its way thru without chipping. I`ve been drilling this way on hotrods for years.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:38 PM

The only thing that I have found that will drill a round hole in plastic and sheetmetal is a VariBit. They are commonly called a step drill. They come in various sizes usually in 1/16 incriments and are available up to 1". They are not cheap, $20 to $30 the last time I bought some about 5 years ago. Don't buy the made in China knock offs, they will loose their edge the first time you use it.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:49 PM

I used a normal holesaw and the tip that Tsaints mentioned is a good one, but go slow and realize this, the lens are slightly tilted and this will make the placement a bit difficult. I think that the size jx published was correct in fact his explaination was very thorough...Illinois has modified the law concerning blue dots to include "customs because of their antique heritage" I have not had issues yet and ran them all last year...Check your state laws...I love mine !!!
Old 02-13-2007, 09:51 PM
jx3

Originally Posted by scaleguy
I think that the size jx published was correct in fact his explaination was very thorough
The credit goes to moose-e-man!
Old 02-13-2007, 10:06 PM

I hope to get mine done this summer.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:17 AM

Welcome, Welcome, Welcome. I guess by now the little puppies are installed.
We just got back from a trip to Houston, Tx and put a little over 1300 miles on "HHRUMPH". She didn't even hic up once. I know you will love yours, I do mine. Once again, welcome and enjoy. What coler you get ?
Moose-e-man