General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Broken caliper stud

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 03:44 PM

Question Broken caliper stud

I have not taken the caliper off yet, but it has a broken stud. Are the studs replacable or will I need a whole new rotor?
Old 10-16-2009, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Duke
I have not taken the caliper off yet, but it has a broken stud. Are the studs replacable or will I need a whole new rotor?
Do you mean wheel stud? If so it is pretty common and any tire shop should be able to fix it for you.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:50 PM

Yes, it is the wheel stud. If I can replace it instead of the caliper, I can do it myself.....thanks.
Old 10-16-2009, 05:13 PM

It is easy. You do need to remove the Rotor and should be able to punch it out as they are pressed into the flange.

So you do not have to remove the hub you can put the new stud in and us a steel lug nut to pull it into place.

This is a very easy thing to do. If you have the ability to replace brake pads you should be able to do this.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
It is easy. You do need to remove the Rotor and should be able to punch it out as they are pressed into the flange.

So you do not have to remove the hub you can put the new stud in and us a steel lug nut to pull it into place.

This is a very easy thing to do. If you have the ability to replace brake pads you should be able to do this.
Place a washer over the new stud that is being pulled in and install the Steel lugnut with the flat face of the lugnut facing the washer and tighten away till stud is pulled all the way into the hub It's that easy! Then remove lugnut and washer and your done....
Old 10-16-2009, 06:23 PM

I would recomend if you are not real familier with doing this job just to take it to a local shop and they should be able to replace fairly cheap.

Most shops that do tire work or more can replace this.

This is a simple job but if you mess up it can make a cheap 15 min job into a expensive day long event that may wish you had taken it to a shop.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:31 PM

Remove and Install a Wheel Stud

Originally Posted by Alan Duke
Yes, it is the wheel stud. If I can replace it instead of the caliper, I can do it myself.....thanks.
Prior info is great, have used anti-seize compound or a clear silicone grease lubricant to play it safe when drawing in the new stud, applied on the washer and on the stud treads.

The procedure can also be found here -

http://www.ehow.com/how_5488754_replace-wheel-stud.html

Stud Specifications:
  • Head Code: 254
  • Knurl Diameter: 12.73mm (.5")
  • Thread Pitch: Right
  • Shoulder Length: 8mm (.315")
  • Thread Size: M12-1.5
  • Length: 41.5mm (1.634")
  • Type: Serrated Stud
Old 10-16-2009, 10:39 PM

Probably just take off the rotor and replace the 2 studs that are messed up. Got a hydraulic press. I just was not sure if the Studs were changeable (some times they are not....and thanks for the quick feedback )

I have bigger fish to fry since on the way home now my rear passenger side suspension spring "unsprung" on me on the way home. Spring came right out of the upper seat. I was a couple of blocks away from a Chevy Dealer (by my house.....Thank God) when it happened. It sounded like the muffler was dragging, but there was a whirling noise like a bubbing of the tire. At the dealership, they said they have never seen this. I tried to attach a pic, but I guess there is some sort of minimum postings before you can or something. Will post the pic as soon as I am allowed to.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:50 AM

Well now I may loose the HHR......just came from the dealership and found out my late son-in-law had lowered the back which voided the warranty. I now need a new spring and upper boot and there are no funds for it. My HHR story looks to be short lived.
Old 10-17-2009, 10:01 PM
Platinum Member

Sorry to hear this.. but FWIW: you can get GM parts less than wholesale on www.GMPartsDirect.com

Must'a lowered the rear a lot to void the warranty. Or the springs are bright yellow, or something obvious like that...

Hang in there man..

Quick Reply: Broken caliper stud