General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Broken Rear Springs

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2022, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Gas shocks do have some oil in them, but it is in the bottom. Old fashioned shocks had oil on both sides of the piston, so leakage meant "bad". Now, if there is leakage you are a couple 100,000 miles late. Techs are uninformed or lazy, they think it is still the 20th century. Partly because shock are more expensive than the old days, they think they are saving you money by not selling them when needed. Back in the day, every car that came into the tire shop "needs new shocks" and brake jobs included bearings, they were cheap and a good labor profit.
Manufacturers still say they last 50,000-100,000 miles. The "push and count rebounds" test is what counts, but that is different on HHR, too. They only have a couple inches travel, unlike old land yachts.
Testing the shocks on an HHR is easy. I just open the hatch and sit hard on the cargo bay. Good shocks - it won’t even bounce once. The car will just return under full control. I don’t pretend this proves they’re in optimal condition, but really bad ones or even one bad one will be pretty obvious.

OEM FE3 and FE5 shocks, while different part numbers (presumably with different valving,) are the superior (at least for competition) monotube design, quite different than FE1 (and most available aftermarket) twin-tubes. I’ll simply guess that what happens when a monotube leaks is different but I really don’t know exactly in what way. They’re all gas charged though.

Monotube vs. twin-tube:

Source -

https://www.tein.co.jp/e/special/ni_toryu/
Old 08-10-2022, 11:32 AM

Twin tube the oil has to get through 2 seals (after all the gas pressure leaks out) before a leak is evident.