General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Building my version of a SS Panel

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 09:20 PM

I think it looks cool, unique.

But it ain't gonna take my SS
Old 05-19-2009, 07:22 AM

after reading this thread you would think you all have some really exotic expensive collector kinda rides, it's just an hhr with a turbo people, not much else, no need for the diggs at hvrod, get real.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:04 AM
TAZ

Originally Posted by saltyfishguy
...it's just an hhr with a turbo people, not much else,
No, it's actually not. It's an HHR that looks, handles, stops, and goes better - and is better equipped - than the car on which it's built.

We get your point. We know the SS isn't much of a performance machine. But it is a good looking, good handling, fun to drive, and somewhat 'special' version of an otherwise fairly pedestrian econobox with questionable styling.

no need for the diggs at hvrod, get real.
There may not be a NEED. But the digs are certainly justified.

The whole notion of reinventing something because you can't wait for (or perhaps afford) the real thing is interesting in a sad kind of way, but there's nothing particularly wrong about it. But - as others here have already mentioned, it's the way the guy went about it. I mean, if he'd simply posted about how he was going to pimp out his new HHR, or actually waited until he'd done so, people would have just commented on the merit of the idea, or the finished result. But because he went on and on about making it an "SS", and kept using some vague quote as justification, and then came up with THAT...well, there is bound to be some heckling.

If he'd simply done an SS lookalike, without any nod towards performance, people would have been a little more positive. Or if he'd done a sleeper car - a regular-looking HHR with performance to match the SS, people would have been pretty positive about it.

Imagine if I had a plain old V6 Mustang, and started yapping about how I was going to do a few things to it and call it a "Shelby". Owners of actual Shelby cars would think the idea ridiculous. And they'd be right.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by TAZ
No, it's actually not. It's an HHR that looks, handles, stops, and goes better - and is better equipped - than the car on which it's built.

We get your point. We know the SS isn't much of a performance machine. But it is a good looking, good handling, fun to drive, and somewhat 'special' version of an otherwise fairly pedestrian econobox with questionable styling.

There may not be a NEED. But the digs are certainly justified.

The whole notion of reinventing something because you can't wait for (or perhaps afford) the real thing is interesting in a sad kind of way, but there's nothing particularly wrong about it. But - as others here have already mentioned, it's the way the guy went about it. I mean, if he'd simply posted about how he was going to pimp out his new HHR, or actually waited until he'd done so, people would have just commented on the merit of the idea, or the finished result. But because he went on and on about making it an "SS", and kept using some vague quote as justification, and then came up with THAT...well, there is bound to be some heckling.

If he'd simply done an SS lookalike, without any nod towards performance, people would have been a little more positive. Or if he'd done a sleeper car - a regular-looking HHR with performance to match the SS, people would have been pretty positive about it.

Imagine if I had a plain old V6 Mustang, and started yapping about how I was going to do a few things to it and call it a "Shelby". Owners of actual Shelby cars would think the idea ridiculous. And they'd be right.
Wow whats up newbie? You have been here for what about a month or so? Dont forget the roots of the SS our non SS cars were around befroe the SS was even thought of. When he started this we didn't know for sure if the SS panel was even going to come out. I dont think he meant he was actually going to build a SS panel. Its funny cause the only people busting his balls are the owners of an SS.By the way how old is this thread? almost a couple years right? As i stated before it wouldn't take much for the SS/Na to be just as fast and unique as an SS. The way you guys are acting towards hims you would think you guys had Caliper SRT4s or something. We all have the same cars built on the exact same platform. the point of this forum is to get information on the car and help people out, not to come on here and flame him for his hard work.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:29 AM

Well I guess I fall exactly in the middle of this thread and agree with everyones point of view! If I was to make one personal thought it would be that if given the choice of HVRODS build or a stock SS I would prefur HVRODS ride! Although it would never have the value or performance (as is) as that of an SS, something about having something unlike the next guy just appeals to me! Kudos HVROD on your "B!tchin A$$" ride !
Old 05-19-2009, 10:54 AM
TAZ

Originally Posted by chadpuska
Wow whats up newbie? You have been here for what about a month or so?
I may be new to this forum, but I wasn't born yesterday, and I've honed a fine ability to apply my brand of common sense as I see fit. More importantly, whether I'm a "newbie" or not has no bearing on whether I'm entitled to an opinion. Were you ever a newbie, or have you had your car and been on this forum since you were born? Is there a rule about how long you must be a forum member before you become entitled to an opinion?

The way you guys are acting towards hims you would think you guys had Caliper SRT4s or something.
You lost me here. I don't know whether this is just misguided brand elitism (along the lines of the guys who say "PT Loser"), or if you're trying to make some derrogatory remark about SRT4 (or SS?) owners. It's "Caliber", by the way. :) (Or is a purposeful misspelling an attempt to be derrogatory as well? )

As i stated before it wouldn't take much for the SS/Na to be just as fast and unique as an SS.
Well, HVROD's car is surely MORE unique than a stock SS. For me, he gets points for being unique, whether I personally think it's tasteful, or reminds me of the local Civic hatchback meet. But to your point, he's obviously got a way to go to make his car as fast as a stock SS.

Again, for those who didn't catch my point the first time: To each his own. Rice that econobox OUT if it floats your boat. Just don't try to tell us that it's practically an "SS" when you're done. That's the point where it invites a little ribbing.

If I've said anything out of line, or which is factually incorrect, let me know. Otherwise, be a man and let me have an opinion.

Last edited by TAZ; 05-19-2009 at 12:57 PM.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:59 AM

after reading this thread you would think you all have some really exotic expensive collector kinda rides, it's just an hhr with a turbo people, not much else, no need for the diggs at hvrod, get real.
I agree the abuse was uncalled for and unnecessary. That said the SS is more than just an HHR with a Turbo.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:42 PM

I hear you guys on the digs being a little brash, BUT this is the HHR SS section of the forum. So why post it here if you weren't trying to stir something up. Oh and thanks for being jealous of my SS :)
Old 05-19-2009, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by HHR 'Black Death'
I hear you guys on the digs being a little brash, BUT this is the HHR SS section of the forum. So why post it here if you weren't trying to stir something up. Oh and thanks for being jealous of my SS :)
I think the issue may be that this thread was started before there was an "SS Section" (9-17-2007) and was moved there perhaps by a Mod? Somehow this has caused a riff with the "true SS owners" Maybe it could be moved back to its original section?
Old 05-19-2009, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by TkHHR
I think the issue may be that this thread was started before there was an "SS Section" (9-17-2007) and was moved there perhaps by a Mod? Somehow this has caused a riff with the "true SS owners" Maybe it could be moved back to its original section?
yes this is true.

Quick Reply: Building my version of a SS Panel