General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

To Buy HHR or Not to Buy

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 10:59 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 843de
maybe we should be helpful first....
Old 04-21-2011, 11:44 PM

Okay Ill probably get banned for this but here it goes anyway. My wife and I love our 06 2LT 2.4, powerful enough to do some good passing and haul junk. (SS would have been nice but it wasnt in existence yet when we bought ours).

In all honesty if you want a reliable car you can drive all over and not have to worry, then buy a Toyota or something. These cars are NOT a no or low maintenace vehicle. Just check the recalls and look in the problems/issues section, almost everyone has had multiple issues requiring multiple trips to the dealer. Uncountable amount of rattles, cheap thin metal (very common these days not just an HHR thing), horrible blind spots and limited visibility due to the pillars, not enough room to tote around a family (I have three kids and its no fun to be squished in the back of these cars), theres plenty of room in the cargo area to load your stuff as long as you know how to stack creatively and they have stopped building them so that could be a good or bad thing depending on what your lookin at. I dont feel these will last 15 or 20 years and still be a decent car as they just seem to be cheaply made.

Now with all that said I can't think of another vehicle I would have purchased instead of this car. No other vehicle seemed as functional and good looking as the HHRs. Awesome styling, good lookin color options, many options and directions you can go in for modifying and it has the best group of owner/followers that you could ask for.
I've had the best time customizing this car and really enjoy it. Ive had mine for 5 years and still look at it like its new to me, can't get enough of it.

20k is WAY too much in my opinion, I find nice 2LTs around Reno NV and Sacramento CA for 10-13k in good shape and like another member said dealers will want these off the lot soon so you may get a great deal on a new one if you do some shopping. I got my 2006 in 2006 for 17K i think it was, but with my crappy credit and the outrageous interest im paying I'll have spent just over 33k when I'm done. Please dont comment on this as its hard enough to swallow already, I know im getting robbed.

Okay in short if you can afford to upgrade or buy a new car every 2 or three years...Buy an HHR, you will love it!

If you enjoy customizing your cars....Buy an HHR, you will love it!

If you enjoy people commenting on your ride and asking questions about it...Buy an HHR, you will love it.

If you like being a car person and going to shows and HHR get togethers with great people who love their cars...Buy an HHR, you will love it.

If you love going to the dealer to get recalls fixed and reprogram the vehicle so your remote start works again...Buy the HHR, you will love it.

If you want a car you can own and never have any issues...Buy something else.

This is just my opinion and I really enjoy my HHR even though it does test my patients at times.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:19 AM

to buy or not.

Made in Mexico, leather is cheap, who in the right mind would put the electric window button on the floor, sits in the hot sun and you shut the door and the sunroof explodes, you have a recall they send you a kit to do it yourself, if you get the manual and stay at 40 mph you can get 34 mpg, 55 you get 31, front brakes will pulsate the fat right off your bones.
Then I look back and remember the Vega, Pinto, Corvair, ect.ect. good on gas

Last edited by interrex; 04-22-2011 at 12:58 PM.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:04 AM
geg

843de and R CA HHR gave an exhaustive assessment of the car. Few things can be added.
something of my experiences.
Give up the hatch. In your climate - excess. On a sunny day, the sun will burn you through the open hatch. On a rainy day - fills water in the car. In cloudy days open hatch does not cool. If the hatch is closed all the time - why pay money? open window solves the problem of fresh air.

If you want leather armchairs - a preference perforated velvety leather. Smooth shiny leather - sweaty ass, especially in girls with open legs. I prefer a rag.
HHR will not give you cause for concern. After some time rattling suspension - do not pity money on polyurethane bushings and strong links. Vibration when braking - buy vented rotors. A lot of recommendations on this site. Other problemma will not (unless you go to the dealer no often).
Buy engine 2.4 L. He is much stronger than the 2.2 L and not much weaker than the 2.0 SS. The best option, but pay attention to local taxes.
Good luck.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:16 AM

09 1LT To be honest i've not had a single issue with this car has almost 50,000 miles on the strong 2.2 whitch it very strong usually cruise on highway at 80 all day long.Remember the troubles you see on this forum are not happenning on all these cars,would buy another in a heartbeat best of luck.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:24 AM

It's a neat looking econo box hauler thats fun to fiddle with.
If fautless reliability is your desire..shop down the street.
If fun and some unique style are your wants..get one.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by gcsd3742
BINGO...SS or go home.....The site clowns are here to stay....EWB
do not waste your time or money on the p.o.s SS . SS owners most but not all seem to think this is the godly version, but if you read through most post this version has the most issues with reliablity. 2lt is the way to go fully loaded best ride for the money, cargo area is fine if you have 1 kid or none if you go on a trip, i ride with my back seats down most of the time cus i use mine to transport medical equipment.

** the so called self naming site clown fags, are usually posting useless knowledge unless it pertains to the all might SS..** bash me im always ready.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by speedwagen
It's a neat looking econo box hauler thats fun to fiddle with.
If fautless reliability is your desire..shop down the street.
If fun and some unique style are your wants..get one.
Well put. I'd probably buy another if able to. I know it makes no sence, but its a cool car.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:46 AM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by KINGSHIPLEY
do not waste your time or money on the p.o.s SS . SS owners most but not all seem to think this is the godly version, but if you read through most post this version has the most issues with reliablity. 2lt is the way to go fully loaded best ride for the money, cargo area is fine if you have 1 kid or none if you go on a trip, i ride with my back seats down most of the time cus i use mine to transport medical equipment.

** the so called self naming site clown fags, are usually posting useless knowledge unless it pertains to the all might SS..** bash me im always ready.
OK consider yourself bashed I tried the 2lt and decided I'm not that old yet, still have a little zip left ,bought a SS and it runs very well 1200 miles in the last week 27mpg and zoom too! sorry once I drove a SS I became a fan.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:51 AM

I test drove an SS a couple years ago and though I did like it, I must say I was expecting more from the turbo. I was comparing it to the only turbo I have owned which was an Eclipse 2.0 turbo which was very fast and is a sports car not a utility wagon, so I guess the comparison was not a fair one.