General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

To buy or not to buy

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 10:40 AM

It's a touch choice. I was going throught the same thing. I ended up with an '06. I save more than a couple of grands verses an '07 with the same equipment (minus the year one only color I got). I don't get rid of vehicles often, so my '06 will have low miles compared to others many years down the road. I only average about 6-7K a year. The new warranty is great, but the powertrain is the least of my concerns with this vehicle.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:03 AM

With our '06 we just bought yestersday I will run it for 36,000 and then flush out all the DEX-COOL and replace with GREEN antifreeze. Red corrodes..................Green protects, no matter what GM says. Ask any good mechanic.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by TY&HHR
With our '06 we just bought yestersday I will run it for 36,000 and then flush out all the DEX-COOL and replace with GREEN antifreeze. Red corrodes..................Green protects, no matter what GM says. Ask any good mechanic.
I ran Dex in my '96 until the day it was stolen. Never had a bit of corrosion. Took about 110K before it needed a water pump. Done properly, Dex will out perform the green stuff anyday. Only mechanics that seem to disagree around here, they get confused when they see Dex, just doesn't look right, kinda like "where's the carb"?
Old 11-16-2006, 11:47 AM
Platinum Member

I agree with Solman....

Originally, way back, my personal car was one of the "guinea pigs" using Dex-cool, for GM. GM encountered many problems with this new product. But, MOST were induced by the consumer. One area of concern was the introduction of additives, the addition of non Dex-cool products and the quality of the water (notice GM is very explicite regarding these, now).

Also, over the past couple of years, the composition has changed to accomodate better results. What was witnessed in the late 90's and early 2000 should not occur now.

I have used Dex-cool in all my family vehicles for about 10 years. Changing at the 100,000 mile or 5 year mark. Never a problem. But I am very cautious of what is introduced to my cooling system......and I only use REAL distilled water.

But, you do what is confortable for you.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:55 AM

Cool

BUY!!!

Old 11-17-2006, 05:13 AM

For what it's worth......I shopped around with other manufacturers for a while in search of a cool car with good gas mileage. I was ready to buy another car when I decided to look at the HHR. I bought my Daytona Blue Metallic on the spot. It was just much more impressive than anything else I looked at, and I am not really a big GM guy. I've had it for six months and I still love it. My only problem is waiting for more aftermarket toys to put on it. If you want to research the engines, check out www.ecotecforum.com. When you decide what you want......HAGGLE! HAGGLE! HAGGLE! Don't be afraid to walk away from the dealer if they won't give you what you want. If it's a good dealership, they will not let you get away without a deal. Ask for the moon and make them work for you. Happy hunting and
Old 11-17-2006, 06:47 AM

I went for an '07

I too had to make this decision a few days back and I chose the 2007 model.

It was an easy choice for me since I wanted the new dark blue color (Imperial Blue Metallic). I also was drawn toward the '07s because of the better warranty coverage. I looked at spending the extra money up front to purchase a comparable warranty for the '06 model and the price difference made it an easier decision.

Whatever you decide, go to your dealer with as much knowledge as you can!

I went to Edmunds.com and found a lot of pricing info that helped me barter with my dealer. check out: http://www.edmunds.com/new/2007/chev...act/index.html

Be sure to check out the TMV (True Market Value) of the car. I bought mine for less than TMV thanks to the forums and Edmunds.

Cheaper than advertised running boards too! 60% off and free installation.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:09 PM

boroop......I thought runningboards were standard on '07's??
Old 11-17-2006, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by pacerman
well I know they are standard... IN CANADA. BUT they are still listed in the accessories at Chevy's US website and when you go to choose them as an option in the "build & price" section, they are NOT available to choose as an option... so maybe Chevy has made them standard on all US models now.
Old 11-17-2006, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by pacerman
Check the lots... not all of the '07s have them installed.

http://www.chevrolet.com/hhr/features/ says they "become factory option fall 2006."

Not sure what that means, but I had to have them so I had to order them.