General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

buying advice: what should I pay?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 09:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by sbljr
Since the LS has the "essentials" standard your friend won't suffer as much depreciation as the new buyer who loads one up with a lot of expensive options. Those become less important as the car gets older. While some used buyers are looking for a loaded car, the majority are looking for price price price as long as it buys them the basics of good condition, reasonable mileage and a few things we take for granted these days like air conditioning, power steering/brakes/windows, tilt wheel, cruise control, cd stereo etc.

The HHR comes with those things so the new buyer who paid $14K is in much better shape when it comes time to sell than one who paid $20+K to get lots of pricey options.
Thats true but why not get a year old loaded LT2 for less then a new LS?

You will lose less then someone buying a new LS in first year depreciation.

A 2006 standard LS with 15K has a good trade in value of around $10.8K
A 2006 Completely loaded LT with the same miles has a Trade value of $13.3

Retail is $14.9 vs $18.3.

I for example paid $14.000 for a completely loaded LT2 with less then 15K Seems none of these HHRs claims high resale, yet they are priced new like Toyotas. New the sticker was around $24,000. They probably paid around $21,000 and lost nearly $9,000 in 13 months!!! (To my benefit)

There are not many cars that scream "buy me second hand as this one does" except maybe the Hyundai/KIA and they are great values as well on the used market due to high depreciation.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Kingfrog
Thats true but why not get a year old loaded LT2 for less then a new LS?
There's NO doubt you can get more options for the same money buying a year-old used car. However I'm rather limited as to what I can choose from when buying a used car, because I won't buy one unless it's from a private party and I KNOW the person who owned it. That's just me. Too many bad experiences in my younger days buying used cars from dealers. Yes yes I know--nowadays there's much better data available on a used car than there was back then, so it's not so much a roll of the dice. But as long as I can afford to buy new I will. I guess I like the smell of a new car
Old 08-29-2007, 11:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by sbljr
There's NO doubt you can get more options for the same money buying a year-old used car. However I'm rather limited as to what I can choose from when buying a used car, because I won't buy one unless it's from a private party and I KNOW the person who owned it. That's just me. Too many bad experiences in my younger days buying used cars from dealers. Yes yes I know--nowadays there's much better data available on a used car than there was back then, so it's not so much a roll of the dice. But as long as I can afford to buy new I will. I guess I like the smell of a new car
You are not alone in your "fears" But I do believe that is old school thought. Many of todays cars are bullet proof. You really have to try to mess them up.
Ironically one of the reasons I hate new cars is the smell of all the plastic and parts, Plus you have to realize EVERY SINGLE car you see on the road everyday is a used car. I don't see that many of them on the side of the road broken down considering the amount of cars traveling at any given time..

Many of todays used cars are still covered under warranty as well and have most of the "new car issues" fixed. I don't see a downside. Save thousands and get a loaded low mileage car still under warranty for a few years. Win Win

I bought only one new car in my life. a Honda Civic. Even then it was not worth it.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by wrzx2
Kingfrog:

I agree, I am big on buying cars that are 1 or 2 years old. I will never buy new again because of the huge depreciation on that first year. But my friend wants a new car, thats just how a lot of people are. Thank you all for the help, I'm actually surprised the quote she got was not half bad. I will try to offer them less than that of course since I"m sure the 08's are out or close to it.
I'm like your friend on the new car thing, too. I like the fact that no one has farted on the seats yet, etc. I like 'em brand new and am willing to take the depreciation.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Lone Ranger
I like the fact that no one has farted on the seats yet, etc. I like 'em brand new and am willing to take the depreciation.

I,m agree with you on that point
Old 08-29-2007, 12:45 PM
Banned

I'll let anyone fart on my seat for $5- $9000.00.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by wrzx2
I'm helping out a friend who wants to buy a 07 HHR LS. It must have automatic transmission and power windows/locks. What are people on this site actually paying for this vehicle with the above options? I am located in Akron, Ohio. They gave her a price quote of 14,000 after a 2,000 dollar rebate and claim they cant budge on this price. I know they'll budge, thats why I'm going with her to get the car, but any help I can get here is appreciated!

Thanks
Well do what I did, See if the dealership has a web site and if the HHr you are looking at is on there then they will ask you for your Information so they can get back with you on a Quote; This Quote is always cheaper then going in person. at least that's what happen to me on all three vehicles we purchase, There is only one person that handels the Web page as a sales person, Good Luck.

Rudy
Old 08-29-2007, 01:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Z-Man
Well do what I did, See if the dealership has a web site and if the HHr you are looking at is on there then they will ask you for your Information so they can get back with you on a Quote; This Quote is always cheaper then going in person. at least that's what happen to me on all three vehicles we purchase, There is only one person that handels the Web page as a sales person, Good Luck.

Rudy
Good point. However I think $14K for that car is a great price. Invoice with only automatic is $16500. Take the rebate off invoice you get 14500. Take another $500 off and they are selling the car at $500 UNDER invoice. Thats never a bad deal.

Trade in is around $13000 for a same 2007 with 3ooo miles. Not a bad "hit to take if he buys it for $14k. Especially on an American car that is polarizing with regard to opinion at best,
Old 08-29-2007, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Kingfrog
You are not alone in your "fears" But I do believe that is old school thought. Many of todays cars are bullet proof. You really have to try to mess them up.
Yeah it's kinda "old school" I agree but IMO it boils down to a matter of preference.

If spending LESS money is the goal don't buy a new car OR a 1-year old car, find a reliable model that is TEN years old but owned by a deceased senior citizen who meticulously maintained it and now the heirs want some fast cash so they're willing to sell it for a song. THAT's what you do if you're a card-carrying cheapskate who needs a good car. Spend anything above that and you're squandering money simply because you WANT to drive a late-model car. I know guys who never buy anything close to a late-model car for the same reason you never buy a brand new car (they hate to take depreciation) even though they've got scads of money socked away and can drive any car they want. Driving older cars is what they like.

There's no right or wrong to it--just a matter of personal preference and lifestyle.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Z-Man

Rudy
Web quotes can be the cheapest at some dealerships, but IME it's not that way at all of them. My best deals (better than web) have been by picking a loss leader unit i.e. "bait & switch ad" in a regional paper then insisting on a similar price on the vehicle I want (adjusted for no more than invoice of additional options). If they're not too fat and happy they'll meet that price more often than not before they let you walk. You see, a "loss leader" price is rock-bottom but it usually isn't a loss after all beans are counted. If you just drop by in person and don't do some hard bargaining, what you're likely to pay is a VERY lucrative price for them!

Quick Reply: buying advice: what should I pay?