General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

buying advice: what should I pay?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 09:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by xtremecruiser
Well I did see another used one I like but with no price, found it on the net, has a few things that scare me though, the car fax for one, rental then new owner, then auction ?
Worth a look ? How much to offer ?
Thanks

used 06 link

CarFax link
Orange one I would not pay over $13,800 plus tax ONLY maybe add $400 because it's "Certified" The dealer did not pay more then $11,800 for it on trade. $2000 profit is PLENTY for a car that is not in huge demand. (Especially that color because it is so different for most buyers. The HHR itself is not an easy sell. I love the color but you have to go with the attitude you DON'T like the color (Thats common with that color and they know it).
Old 09-03-2007, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Kingfrog
Orange one I would not pay over $13,800 plus tax ONLY maybe add $400 because it's "Certified" The dealer did not pay more then $11,800 for it on trade. $2000 profit is PLENTY for a car that is not in huge demand. (Especially that color because it is so different for most buyers. The HHR itself is not an easy sell. I love the color but you have to go with the attitude you DON'T like the color (Thats common with that color and they know it).
It being a rental fleet car does not give give me a fuzzy feeling, it better come with a 100K warranty
Old 09-03-2007, 09:19 PM

It being a rental fleet car does not give give me a fuzzy feeling, it better come with a 100K warranty
Also...if it was a rental, it won't have remote start like a non-rental automatic would.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Applenut
Also...if it was a rental, it won't have remote start like a non-rental automatic would.
Listing says it does though.
Just did window testing today only though
Old 09-03-2007, 09:32 PM

Listing says it does though.
Just did window testing today only though

That's why I said "if"
Old 09-03-2007, 09:33 PM
Banned

Another reason to get it cheap. Use the color, the hostory, and the high depreciation "you heard about" of the HHR as bargaining chips. believe me that car will be there awhile. If you can convince them you WILL buy the car they WILL sell it at your price. The market is not as large for that car as a Cobalt.......Offer them $13000 Out the door. What do you have to lose? No more then $14000 though.

Try this :
Pretend you went there to look at another car and "stumble on the HHR" Don't let them know you saw the ad.. Look at something else similar thats priced out of your range. Then mozy to the HHR and mention the terrible color but the room inside is nice,,,Show some interest.....not too much. When they tell you the price Just say You like the car but it seems high for that car. They WILL then say . "What would you buy the car for?" or what is you limit? Don't offer that answer yet.. Just say "nothing until I test drive it".....During the test ride say nothing. Turn off the radio and listen to the car. Ask about it's history...Ask for a Carfax. Certified cars have them. When you see it was a rental feign disappointment.

Tell him you are not to thrilled with the unusual color. They will ask you to make an offer at some point. Look at him in the eye and say you WILL buy the car today for $13,000 Out the Door. Now they have something to work with. The game begins. Hold your ground.

You can always tell them you want to go home and do some research on it. check the trade in value. they won't want to let you go.
They will print it out. You will see $11,800 and tell them you think your offer is more then fair but you will offer them $500 more because it's "Certified"

Thats it if they don;t take it KEEP LOOKING...They will tell you they have too much into it. They always have "too much into the car you are looking at " LOL Tell them thats their mistake to pay for not yours...You insist your offer is fair (AND IT IS BELIEVE ME) Then say good-bye and keep looking you will find one,
Old 09-03-2007, 09:40 PM

Another reason to get it cheap. Use the color, the mileage, and the low trade in value as bargaining chips. believe me that car will be there awhile. If you can convince them you WILL buy the car they WILL sell it at your price. Offer them $13000 Out the door. What do you have to lose? No more then $14000 though.

Try this :
Pretend you went there to look at another car and "stumble on the HHR" Don't let them know you saw the ad.. Look at something else similar thats priced out of your range. Then mozy to the HHR and mention the terrible color but the room inside is nice,,,Show some interest.....not too much. When they tell you the price Just say You like the car but it sseems high for that car. . They WILL say then. What would you buy the car for. You then say nothing until I test drive it.....During the test ride say nothing. Turn off the radio and listen to the car. Ask about it's history...Ask for a Carfax. Certified cars have them. When you see it was a rental feign dissappointment.

Tell him you are not to thrilled with the unusual color. They will ask you to make an offer at some point. Look at him in the eye and say you WILL buy the car today for $13,000 Out the DOor. Now that have something to work with.

You can always tell them you want to go home and check the trade in value.
They will print it out. You will see $11,800 and tell them you think your offer is more then fair but you will offer them $500 more because it's "Certified"

Thats it if they don;t take it KEEP LOOKING....You will find one,
Thats what I did with the new Blue 06, and I liked the Blue color too

It looks to be a LT2 ? Cant tell by the sheet.
Plus they look funny without the running boards, esp on the Orange ones.
That is a different color to say the least
Old 09-03-2007, 09:49 PM
Banned

could be an LT2....$11800 is still trade in value. Dealers give between GOOD and FAIR never excellent. If it was an auction car they got it less then that by a grand.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:57 PM

could be an LT2....$11800 is still trade in value. Dealers give between GOOD and FAIR never excellent. If it was an auction car they got it less then that by a grand.
Maybe they have a fast black one in the back somewhere
Old 09-03-2007, 10:07 PM
Banned

Maybe they have a fast black one in the back somewhere
Now you are asking for too much.....Black yes. FAST...No. These are cruisers slow and easy. Get the SS Cobalt for fast. Or maybe the new SS HHR.

Quick Reply: buying advice: what should I pay?